Saturday, October 27, 2012

Celebration by Fern Michaels




Genre:
Fiction

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Brilliance Audio

Release Date:
August 2008



Against everyone’s better judgment Kristine marries her high school sweetheart, Logan Kelly. They make a life for themselves with his military career and their three children. Kristine is as happy as can be until Logan’s military assignment is over and he’s coming home for the Christmas holiday. She prepares his favorite meal, gets the house ready and she waits with her children for his return. They wait, and wait, and wait some more but he never shows up.

Kristine is sure something must have happened to him, but then she learns Logan cleaned out their bank accounts (taking 8 million dollars!). Everyone around her, including her children, try to make her see Logan for what he was a cruel, abusive man. The children have the physical scars to prove it, but Kristine is blinded by her devotion for Logan. Her children move away to college and want nothing more to do with either of their parents. Kristine turns to alcohol for solace.

With the help of Woody, the handsome local banker, Kristine slowly begins to rebuild her life. She starts a career raising dogs, stops drinking and finds true love with Woody. Just as her life begins to have meaning again, in walks Logan as if his absence for the last 8 years is meaningless. He thinks he can just pick up where he left off, but Kristine isn’t having any of it.

The premise of this story sounds so good, but the main character was a big turn off for me. Kristine has no backbone and made frustrating decisions throughout the book. I listened to the audio version of this book in my car and I kept yelling at her. There was some character growth by the end of the book, but not enough for me. Logan was such a vile character and I was expecting more of a payoff to his outcome. Without giving away any plots, I was more frustrating than anything listening to this book. I used to love Fern Michaels’ books, but the last two I read really fell short for me.




Disclosure:  I took this audio out from the library.  All opinions are my own.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry this book was not more to your liking, Yvonne, although it did elicit an emotional response from you. I've seen this author's name but have not read (or listened to) any of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point, Suko. Since it did get a response from me, that's why I gave it two kitties and not just one.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry to hear that :/ Better luck next time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pretty lucky with all the books I've loved lately, so a clinker isn't the worst thing in the world :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I would hate that character, too! Sounds like she waffles a lot.

    Too bad, as I have enjoyed some books by this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waffles is a great word - the main character did that way too much in this book for my liking.

      I've enjoyed books by this author in the past too. It won't stop me from reading others.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.