Saturday, June 14, 2014

Review: Murder a la Christie by Marilyn Levinson


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Oak Tree Press

Release Date:
March 2014





Professor Lexie Driscoll is excited to be leading the Golden Age Mystery Book Club in the swanky small town of Old Canfield, which is on Long Island in New York. While she’s on her summer vacation, she’s staying at a friend’s ritzy mansion. She’s all set for a great summer – reading books she loves and discussing them with fellow readers, plus staying in a wealthy neighborhood she couldn’t normally afford.

The group begins by discussing Agatha Christie’s books, when tragedy strikes. One of the members of the group dies at the first meeting. Lexie is convinced this is not death by natural causes. Although everyone thinks she’s taking the Christie novels too seriously, she’s convinced this was a very real murder. Lexie investigates on her own, but the closer she gets to the truth, more club members end up dead. She admits, it’s beginning to feel a lot like Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None”.

Lexie’s suspect list is a mile long and even includes her best friend, but she cannot let that stop her. She’s determined to get the killer before he or she gets them. Lexie is shocked when she uncovers many sordid secrets in this classy town. Toss in two handsome romantic interests for Lexie and this turns out to be a summer vacation she never saw coming.

This is a classic mystery complete with a long list of eccentric suspects and an explosive ending with all of them gathered in one place. The author gave us all the tools needed to solve this one, but I was still completely off the mark.

Marilyn Levinson writes in the traditional style of Agatha Christie and keeps you guessing. I thought her use of Christie’s murder-solving techniques woven into this current day story quite unique and clever. It’s a fast-paced story that will captivate readers. I was hooked from page one. Mystery lovers will devour this one, I know I did. I hope we re-visit Lexie Driscoll in the near future.



For reading challenges:
2014 My Kind of Reading Challenge

FTC Disclosure: The author provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.




19 comments:

  1. I used to read Agatha Christie alot pre-blogging and this sounds like a nice, classic style mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by, Naida. Murder a la Christie is classic with a modern twist to it.

      Delete
  2. I loved Murder a la Christie and can't wait for the next in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. I'll finish editing Murder the Tey Way--soon.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on another outstanding review! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds very good, Yvonne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one does sound really good! It's going on my list...thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy Murder a la Christie is going on your list.

      Delete
  7. Just happened to stumble upon this blog. Extremely well written, this book certainly sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good one, I'm adding it to my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fun. I read a lot of Agatha and reading a book with so many tie-ins to her work sounds like fun. I'll definitely have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My characters discuss several of her novels. Of course, they have their own murders to deal with.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.