Monday, November 23, 2020

Review: We Hear Voices by Evie Green





Genre: 
Thriller, Suspense 

Format: 
E-ARC 

Publisher: 
Berkley 

Release Date: 
December 1, 2020 






Synopsis from Goodreads

An eerie debut about a little boy who recovers from a sickness and inherits an imaginary friend who makes him do violent things... 

Kids have imaginary friends. Rachel knows this. So when her young son, Billy, miraculously recovers from a horrible flu that has proven fatal for many, she thinks nothing of Delfy, his new invisible friend. After all, her family is healthy and that's all that matters. 

But soon Delfy is telling Billy what to do, and the boy is acting up and lashing out in ways he never has before. As Delfy's influence is growing stranger and more sinister by the day, and rising tensions threaten to tear Rachel's family apart, she clings to one purpose: to protect her children at any cost--even from themselves.  

We Hear Voices is a mischievously gripping near-future horror novel that tests the fragility of family and the terrifying gray area between fear and love. 

My Review 

Nothing is worse than seeing your child sick. Especially a child near death in the midst of a pandemic. When Rachel’s son Billy miraculously recovers, she doesn’t question it, she rejoices. 

Things take a strange turn when Billy develops an imaginary friend named Delfy. Rachel doesn’t think much of this until Billy starts doing dangerous things on Delfy’s orders. 

Everything gets worse and Rachel’s family is in serious danger. Rachel will do anything to keep Billy and her family safe. 

I wasn’t sure I’d be up to reading about a pandemic, considering what we are going through right now, but this was quite addicting. It’s a mix of science fiction and drama. 

The characters are all well developed, even the imaginary one. The situations are a bit far-fetched, but not that much considering what we are going through now. Although, in this story, the people mostly effected are children. 

We Hear Voices is very difficult for me to summarize.  I don't want to give anything away.  It is an edge-of-your seat reading. A tense story I couldn’t stop reading until I got to the end of the book. The author does a great job of keeping the reader wanting to know what would happen next. This would make a good movie. I can see a sequel in the air. I’d definitely read it.



FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.