Saturday, March 25, 2023

Review: A Midsummer Night’s Scheme by Harper Kincaid




About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Crooked Lane Books

Release Date
March 21, 2023

Synopsis from Goodreads:

All the world's a stage, but it may be curtains for bookbinder Quinn Caine’s brother if she can't bring the lights down on an actor's killer, in this mystery perfect for fans of Jenn McKinlay and Kate Carlisle.

Just when everything is returning to the calm that Quinn Caine and her sidekicks, Ruff Barker Ginsburg and Sister Daria, are used to in their beloved town of Vienna, a Broadway star crash-lands into their peace and quiet. Former ‘player’, Chad Frivole, is Vienna’s prodigal son—the once notorious lothario has returned a Broadway star, ready to make a different kind of mark on his hometown.

Not everyone is celebrating the Tony-award-winner’s return. Chad’s a triple threat—with a cast of characters lining up to seek their revenge on him. So, when he turns up dead in his car, trapped with a sack full of snakes, Quinn can’t say she’s surprised—but promises handsome detective Aiden Harrington that she’s staying out of this local mystery.

That is, until someone starts threatening her brother’s life. It’s true, Sebastian ‘Bash’ Caine used to be a womanizer, just like Chad. And the killer doesn’t seem to care that he’s not that man anymore. Bash Caine is in the killer’s sights, and unless Quinn and her crew can find the killer in time, whoever it is will drag her brother into his final act on this mortal coil.

My Review

Chad Frivole, Vienna’s hometown womanizer, returns.  Now, he’s a successful Broadway star and wants to give back to his hometown by opening a local theater company.  Unfortunately, it’s not easy for him to live down his womanizer reputation.  Some people cannot let go of the past.

When Chad is killed in his car with a bunch of snakes, the town is on high alert.  Quinn promises to stay out of the investigation, but when her own brother is in danger, all bets are off. Along with her cousin, Sister Daria, Quinn is out to find a killer.

Since this series is called the Bookbinding Mysteries, I would think our amateur sleuth would be Quinn Caine since she’s the bookbinder.  However, I think her cousin Sister Daria is just as much, if not more, part of the storyline.  Sister Daria is very well-written and well-developed.  I feel as if I know her better than Quinn.  Although, Quinn is a great character too. The story is written from both characters' POV.

The murder happens early in the book, but the story doesn’t only focus on the murder.  There’s also secondary storylines involving Quinn and Sister Daria’s family and their personal lives.  It’s fast-paced and intriguing with several twists and turns thrown in.  I was kept guessing and was surprised to see “whodunit”.  

Although the mystery is wrapped up in this book, there is a cliffhanger.  This is the second book in the series and I think it’s more fun to start with book #1.  I enjoyed both books and looking forward to book #3.


For reading challenges:

NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2023
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2023
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2023
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2023


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.