Friday, July 28, 2023

Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56 - July 28th




This is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice. If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

It's that simple.





I'm also joining in Book Beginnings on Friday. It's hosted by Rose City Reader


I just finished reading this one.  Not my usual genre but I loved it!





First Chapter

Hazel wandered across the docks, waiting for her father to finish loading the grain onto their wagon.  She had been hoping to get a new book today but she didn't see the Mighty Dragon anywhere.  That was the name of the boat that shipped books from New York.

From chapter six on my e-reader.

Heath, surprisingly, because he did own the largest cattle ranch in Texas, hated cattle drives.  He did like the part he told Hazel about, wearing the bandana and looking like everyone else. 

Synopsis from Goodreads:

A historical western cowboy romance novel about a mail order bride.

In 1870, Hazel Lynn Morgan was a girl right on the verge of becoming a woman. She lives in a small town on a farm in Ohio, where nothing new or exciting ever happens. She has survived this long by reading books about exotic places and using her imagination, or what her Ma has termed, her “Magical Thinking.”

Will a simple mail order bride ad placed by a cattle rancher in Texas named Heath Key change Hazel’s life for the better? Or will the secret that Heath is hiding threaten to ruin both of their lives? Will the man who has been by Heath’s side as his best friend since childhood bring them closer or come between them in the end?

Follow Hazel on her journey to adulthood as she discovers that sometimes you have to close your eyes to really be able to see.

What do you think?  What are you sharing today?



8 comments:

  1. I understand the disappointment of a new book not coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun when stepping outside of your usual genres gets rewarded with a great read! I love the idea of a ship coming to me to deliver books, but I would worry a bit about the damp xD I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to know more about how they got books back then, it sounds cool! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny that the boat which brought books, like delivery by air, was named Mighty Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound like a good one. I love the 1800's time period in books and movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely connected with that opening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not my normal choice either, but it is fun to mix it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "mail order bride" idea sometimes worked out well, and sometimes was a disaster. It would be interesting to read this one and find out which it turned out to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.