Thursday, July 27, 2023

Review: Blinded by Love by Leah Wyett


About the Book


Genre
Historical Romance

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Gold Crown Press

Release Date:
June 19, 2014


Synopsis from Goodreads:

A historical western cowboy romance novel about a mail order bride.

In 1870, Hazel Lynn Morgan was a girl right on the verge of becoming a woman. She lives in a small town on a farm in Ohio, where nothing new or exciting ever happens. She has survived this long by reading books about exotic places and using her imagination, or what her Ma has termed, her “Magical Thinking.”

Will a simple mail order bride ad placed by a cattle rancher in Texas named Heath Key change Hazel’s life for the better? Or will the secret that Heath is hiding threaten to ruin both of their lives? Will the man who has been by Heath’s side as his best friend since childhood bring them closer or come between them in the end?

Follow Hazel on her journey to adulthood as she discovers that sometimes you have to close your eyes to really be able to see.

My Review

It’s 1870 and Hazel Lynn Morgan is ready to leave her family’s home in Ohio.  Her family isn’t ready to let her leave, but Hazel is bored with Ohio.  She wants to see the rest of the world.  When she comes across a newspaper ad for a mail order bride, she’s more than a little interested.  

The ad is placed by a cattle rancher in Texas, which is quite far from Ohio.  Hazel doesn’t want to leave her family, but she doesn’t want to miss this opportunity.  She begins a correspondence with the cattle rancher, but she suspects he’s hiding a secret.  

Hazel agrees to travel to Texas with her father.  She is determined to see if this man is the man she dreamed of to be her husband.    

I don’t usually read historical fiction, but this is a short story and I decided to give it a try.  I’m glad I did.  It has characters I loved right from the start.  The story grabbed me in with the first page.  I really enjoyed it and plan to read the rest of the series.  Just as a warning - it’s a short story with a cliffhanger at the end.  I adore these kinds of stories, but I know they aren’t for everyone.  



For reading challenges:

The Backlist Reader Challenge 2023
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2023 (Ohio)



Disclosure:  This one is from my own e-book collection. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I’m more of a contemporary romance reader but I enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like this kind of premise but I'm not a fan of a cliffhanger. I'll have to look up this author though. She's new to me and this sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.