Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Review: Secrets of the Specter by Molly Fitz

 



About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery, Paranormal

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Whiskered Mysteries

Release Date
October 12, 2021


Synopsis from Goodreads:

A Haunted Mystery, A Magical Cat & A Modern-Day Candlestick Maker

I’m Mags McAllister, and I am an honest-to-goodness modern-day candlestick maker. I work in my family’s shop in the historic district of Larkhaven, Georgia, and also make a pretty penny from sharing videos of my process online.

My life is simple, quiet, and all mine… until a white cat with mismatched eyes shows up outside my shop and refuses to leave. When I take him home, things get really weird. As in, I can now see things and people that were never there before.

It gets even freakier when a voiceless spirit introduces herself to me via a handwritten letter. This specter claims that I share her name and will also share her fate if we can’t solve the mystery that’s haunted our town since 1781… and quickly, because she won’t be able to maintain her strength for much longer.

Talk about a cold case! Can I actually find a way to free my eighteenth-century counterpart? Or has my new feline companion just signed my death warrant by opening my eyes to the secret supernatural plane in our otherwise sleepy small town?

My Review

Mags McAllister and her aunt run their family’s candle shop in a small town in Georgia.  Everything is going smoothly until a beautiful white cat starts following Mags everywhere.  She decides to let her stay in her house, but then strange things start happening.  An 18th century ghost appears to her and just happens to have the same name as Mags.  She has no idea what is happening, but she’s scared when the ghost claims she needs to solve her murder or Mags might meet the same fate.

Although the ghost died in the 18th century, Mags does everything she can to help find the ghost’s killer. However, danger lurks at every corner and Mags fears for her life as well as those she loves.  

This is the first in the Meowing Medium cozy mystery series.  I always adore this author’s work and this one is no exception.  The series gets off to an exciting start and left me wanting more.

The characters are written well.  The storyline runs smoothly from page one until the end.  It’s one huge jigsaw puzzle that Mags needs help to figure out.  Oh, and of course, there’s a cat!  You know that immediately wins me over :)  

Overall, this is a great beginning to the series.  I’m looking forward to reading more.

For reading challenges:

The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2024
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2024
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2024
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2024 (Georgia)




I borrowed this one from the KOBO Plus library.  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. That looks good. The cat on the cover looks like my angel Millie- he had 2 different eyes. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good story. I like the cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can't be easy solving a case for a ghost!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.