Tuesday, October 20, 2015

First Chapter Tuesdays/Teaser Tuesdays - October 20th


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where we share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book we are reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

http://adailyrhythm.com/

If you'd like to play along on Teaser Tuesdays, just click the button above.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


This week I'm reading...





First chapter

September 1974
Kansas City, Missouri

My second mistake was dropping my lipstick.

It clanged against the metal riser, spun for a tantalizing second just beyond my fingers' reach, then dropped to the nether regions below.

My first mistake was buying the damned thing. Purchased from a terrifyingly chic salesgirl at Galerie Lafayette in Paris, it was the perfect shade of red. A hue, she told me, so sublime the French manufacturer declined to sell it in the United States. Then she looked down her slightly hooked, Parisian nose as if she was Marie Antoinette and I was a peasant who dared ask for bread. Who wouldn't be intimidated by that level of chic? I handed over a ridiculous number of francs and bought the transformative, perfection-filled gold tube.


Teaser

Alone in the uneven darkness, the last thing I'd expected was a person on the ground. I knelt. "Are you all right? What happened?"


What do you think? Would you keep reading?

19 comments:

  1. Good teaser! I have this one on my wish list.

    My TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/10/20/teaser-tuesdays-133-flask-of-the-drunken-master/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that intro! This book is already on my wish list... hope I can get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great intro! This is new to me, so thanks for adding to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really cute, Yvonne! Perfect for curling up on a cool weekend; thanks so much for sharing this one with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a mystery I'd enjoy. I'll add it to my list for my Mystery Monday meme. Here's my TT: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-Yi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a mystery I'd enjoy. I'll add it to my list for my Mystery Monday meme. Here's my TT: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-Yi

    ReplyDelete
  7. All that money on a lipstick she won't be able to wear. Ugh. Chances are it wouldn't have looked good on her anyway. Lipstick you are pressured or obligated to buy, never does, does it? I like the intro and the teaser has me even more curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great excerpts! You piqued my curiosity. I am also intrigued by the time period....thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “A PLACE WE KNEW WELL”

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love "terrifyingly chic!" I've seen sales clerks like that, especially at the cosmetics counter. This sounds like a delightful book that I'd enjoy.
    My Tuesday post features In His Arms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the beginning and the teaser. My YA teaser this week comes from These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good teaser! Sounds like a fun romp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished this one last night and LOVED it! I love that beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's quite a beginning. Snooty sales people irk me; it's just so rude and unnecessary. Good snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great opening sentence! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both "teasers" are very good--I want to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.