Saturday, October 3, 2015

Review: That Wasn't Chicken by Linda P. Kozar




Genre: Cozy Mystery, #4 When the Fat Ladies Sing Mystery Series

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Audible

Release Date:
June 2014




Synopsis from Goodreads:

Murder, mystery meat and morning sickness! Hudson and Lovita are expecting and she’s having trouble keeping food down for the first time in her life. Her best friend, Sue Jan is busy juggling mommy-hood. And the Crown of Glory Beauty Salon and Boutique is busier than a one-toothed man in a corn-on-the-cob-eating contest. Things are great until a handsome law intern disappears after an argument with their top stylist’s once-upon-a-time wayward son. So Lovita and Sue Jan put down their forks and pick up the trail to solve the mystery before Jolene’s son has to trade in his chef’s uniform for prison stripes.

My Review

I had the pleasure of taking another trip to Wachita, Texas to meet up with my new old friends Lovita and Sue Jan. These two women are so much fun and I think the author does a wonderful job of bringing husbands and children into their friendship. It works beautifully.

This is only the second book I’ve read in this series and I already find myself caring about these two women and their families. I was genuinely happy when both discovered they were going to have babies. It’s nice to see two women work so well together and be able to juggle a family and career. Lovita and Sue Jan are successful at all of it. Not to mention that they make excellent private investigators. So, they are actually juggling two careers and families.

The mystery is intriguing although there were a couple of parts I found a bit disgusting. I don’t want to give anything away so I won’t go into further detail about that, but it didn’t stop me from enjoying the mystery.  The story moves along at a nice pace.

This is a great series to listen on audio. The narrator is very easy to listen to. Michelle Babb is made for the role of Lovita. She, also, does the other characters very well. She brings them to life and gives us a wonderful audio production. I wish there were more books for me to listen to.




FTC Disclosure: The author provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. You've got me curious as to what is disgusting as I don't expect that in a cozy mystery.It sounds good otherwise and I like the sound of Lovita and Sue Jan's friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of surprised me, too, and probably wouldn't have bothered most people. It just stuck with me.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.