Welcome to the seventh annual Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge! I'm changing things up a bit this year. Sometimes we get hooked on one type of genre or sub-genre and don't venture out of our comfort zone. Maybe some only read culinary cozies, maybe some only animals or crafts.
To find out exactly what a cozy mystery is, check out Cozy-Mystery.com. This site is dedicated to cozy mysteries and does a great job of defining them as well as giving a list of cozy mysteries. This challenge is NOT restricted to what is on their list, it's just to be used as a guideline in case you need some hints on what to read.
Whatever you might like, I thought it might be fun to read a bit of everything. So here is this year's cozy mystery reading challenge:
- One from culinary (anything dealing with food: restaurants, baked goods, etc.)
- One from animal related (cats, dogs, birds, etc.)
- One from craft related (any kind of hobbies - knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.)
- One from paranormal (witches, vampires, etc.)
- One from British cozy mysteries (example: Belinda Lawrence series)
- One career-based cozy mystery (housekeeping, wedding planner, etc.)
- One holiday based (set during any holiday - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines, etc.)
- One travel mystery (character could be on a cruise, touring another area, etc.)
- One historical mystery (any mystery not set in the present)
- One is your choice! (freebie!)
Level two (Investigator) - Read all the books in level one plus an additional 10 cozy books of your choice (total of 20)
Level three (Super Sleuth) - Read two books from each sub-genre in level one plus an additional 10 cozy books of your choice (total of 30 books)
Level four (Sleuth Extraordinaire) - Read two books from each sub-genre in level one plus an additional 20 cozy books of your choice (total of 40 books)
Here are the rules...
1. The challenge runs from January 1, 2017 and ends December 31, 2017.
2. You don't have to choose your books in advance. If you do, you can change your list at any time during the year. Books can overlap with other challenges.
3. Books can be in any format - paper, audio, ebooks...it all counts!
4. You don't have to post a review, but I'm sure others would love to know about the books you are reading and may even want to add it to their reading lists.
NOTE: If you don't have a blog and want to participate, that's fine. You don't have to have a blog, just post in the comments section as you finish books. If you belong to a site like Goodreads and review the books there, that's fine too. Just leave us the link. I also have a group for this challenge on Goodreads and you can sign up here.
5. If you do have a blog, take the button above, put it on your blog and post about the challenge. Then add your name to Mr. Linky below. Please use the link of your challenge post, not the link to your home page.
6. I'm going to have one link for signing up, one link for completed reviews and one link for your wrap up posts. I won't be having a monthly link, just one for all reviews read for this challenge.
ADDENDUM: (I'm adding one more thing for those who aren't sure they want to read some of the sub-genres.)
7. If you can't find or don't want to read a certain sub-genre, you can switch it out for another one of your choice. However, this can only be done one time.
I'm going for Level One (Snoop) this year and these are my tentative choices:
1. Culinary - Tangled Up In Brew by Joyce Tremel
2. Animal related - Literally Murder by Ali Brandon
3. Craft related - Photo Finished by Laura Childs
4. Paranormal - By Familiar Means by Delia James
5. British cozy mysteries - Murder on the Island by Brian Kavanagh
7. Holiday based - Valentine Murder by Leslie Meier
8. Travel mystery - Cancans, Croissants and Caskets by Mary McHugh
9. Historical mystery - Clouds in My Coffee by Julie Mulhern
10. Freebie - I'll decide on this one later.
Sign up for this challenge below. Use this format:
Line #1: Your name (blog if you have one)
Line #2: Link to your sign up post (please post the direct link to your sign up post, not to your blog's homepage).