Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Review: Six Cats A Slayin' by Miranda James



About the Book

Genre: Cozy Mystery, #10 in A Cat in the Stacks Mystery Series
Publisher: Berkley 
Release Date: October 23, 2018


Synopsis from Goodreads...

Charlie Harris and his Maine Coon cat, Diesel, are busy decking the halls for the holidays when an unexpected delivery and a shocking murder conspire to shake up the season in this all new installment of the New York Times bestselling series.

December twenty-fifth is right around the corner, and Charlie is making his list and checking it twice. He is doing his best to show some peace and goodwill toward his nosy neighbor Gerry Arbitron, a real estate agent who seems to have designs on his house (and maybe on him, as well), while preparing for a very important role, indeed—his first Christmas as a grandfather.

The last thing Charlie expects is to gain several new additions to his family. Charlie finds a box on his doorstep with five kittens inside and a note begging him to keep them safe. With Diesel's help, Charlie welcomes the tiny felines into the Harris household just as Gerry decides it is time to throw a lavish holiday party.

Determined to make her mark on Athena, Gerry instead winds up dead at her very own party. Though attempts to dig into her past come up empty, Charlie and his girlfriend, Helen Louise, witness two heated exchanges involving Gerry before her death: one with a leading citizen and another with the wife of a good friend. Will one of these ladies wind up on the sheriff's naughty list? Charlie and Diesel have to wrap up the case before the special season is ruined by a sinister scrooge.

My Review

Christmas is almost here and Charlie Harris has his hands full. His daughter-in-law is a new mother and not handling it very well. His concern for her and his new grandchild occupies his mind, but his concerns do not stop there. A box of kittens land on his doorstep. Along with his faithful Maine coon cat, Diesel, they take care of the kittens until they can find out who put them there and why.

Mysteries always surround Charlie and Diesel. Their neighbor, realtor Gerry Arbitron, is more than a little interested in Charlie and his house. She’s a nuisance, but Charlie tries to be neighborly. He accepts her invitation to a big holiday party. The whole town is there, but things don’t end well for Gerry when she ends up the victim of a murder.

Charlie is hot on the trail of a killer. The clock is ticking to December 25th. Charlie doesn’t want to ruin the holiday with an unsolved murder mystery.

What can be better than a new “Cat in the Stacks” mystery set to the backdrop of Christmas? This is the 10th book in the series with an absolutely gorgeous cover.

I’ve always adored this series.    Although I’m a bit behind on it, I couldn’t resist reading the newest edition. It’s like visiting old friends. Diesel sort of takes a backseat in this murder mystery as he has his paws full with kittens. Being a cat lover, my favorite scenes are the ones with Diesel taking care of the kitties. It’s a sweet secondary plot line to the main murder storyline.

The murder mystery takes several twists and turns. They made my head spin and I was quite surprised at the outcome. I really did not want the book to end. I wanted more Diesel!

Beautifully written, it’s the perfect cozy mystery for this time of year. I can’t say enough good things about it.  It left me in happy tears.



For reading challenges:
The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2018
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2018
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2018 (Mississippi)
Craving the Cozies Reading Challenge 2018

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


Purchase Links







6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a sweet cat cozy. And I am partial to Maine Coons. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, Yvonne. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to get into this series and just couldn't finish book 1. That said I may have to give it another try...I may just have not been in the right mood and they all look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book with lots of kitties! And murder and Christmas too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those times when I want to jump into the series even though I haven't read the other books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds great. It would be fun to read in December.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.