Friday, August 11, 2023

Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56 - August 11th




This is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice. If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

It's that simple.





I'm also joining in Book Beginnings on Friday. It's hosted by Rose City Reader


I'm hoping to read this one soon.  I loved the first book in this series.  It's a novella and a nice interlude between longer books.




First Chapter

DECEMBER 16th 1870

"Dear Miss Dodd." John said as he wrote.

 "My dearest Becky." Hazel corrected him with a grin.

"She is not my dearest." he protested.  "I don't even know her."

From 56% on my e-reader.

"How are things between you and John?" Hazel asked Becky as they sat on the front porch having tea together.

Synopsis from Goodreads:

A historical western cowboy romance story about a mail order bride. Hazel is planning her first Christmas with Heath and their wedding. She's also plotting to help John, Heath's best friend and partner find a love of his own. The problem is, John is already in love...With Hazel. It will take John a wild ride across Texas and a gunfight alongside desperate men to realize that what he needed wasn't necessarily what he thought he wanted. But is it too late?


What do you think?  What are you sharing today?



10 comments:

  1. This isn't my usual kind of read, but it looks interesting. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, a mail order bride. That sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fairly typical love triangle. Hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy this one when you get to it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a love story in the making to me... don't they all start out with loathing?! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mail order brides, some of those worked out splendidly and some, well, i know women had to marry to have any social standing but sometimes it was plain awful.

    I hope this one turned out well, whoever she ended up marrying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the mail order bride trope and I like the twist here. Sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.