Monday, March 16, 2009

Monday Musings




Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about talking to strangers…

We were all warned as children to 'never talk to strangers', but how do you feel about book-talk with random people? When you see people reading, do you ask what it is? Do you talk to people in the book store or the library? Why or why not? What do you do if people talk to you? (question courtesy of Dena)


My Answer:

This is an interesting one. I'm a shy person in the first place so I would never start up a conversation, but if someone in the bookstore were to talk to me, I'd certainly respond. While strolling through the book aisles I've had people turn to me and ask if I've read a certain book and I'll respond with my opinions of it. Those are people I know are interested in discussing books. If I see people reading on the beach or by the pool when I'm on vacation, I never stop to chat. Not everyone wants to be bothered by book chat. Although I do tend to look at what everyone is reading.


When I go to the local used book store, I always talk about books with the owner. I've known her for years and we have similar reading tastes so we are always offering each other recommendations and that's fun.

11 comments:

  1. Yeah I'm shy too about it would would answer if asked.. I don;t initiate the conversation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh, I wish I had a used book store, with a bookie owner like that, nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do tend to try and see what someone is reading ... just being nosy I guess. And I will say something if it is something I like or read or am interested in. But I don't go blabbing on and on ... at least I don't think I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same for me. I will talk if someone speaks to me, but I never initiate conversation. I do like to lok at what people are reading though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like finding out what others like and dislike about a book, even one I might be about to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I know the person, I might stop and inquire what they are reading and talk to them about books, but if it's a stranger, I tend to try and take a peek without bothering them. I don't mind it if people approach me at all though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a great local used bookstore and the owner loves to chat. Not necessarily about books, though. There are some days I know that he had way too many expresso's because you can't get a word in edge wise. :)

    Great post.

    My post is up now
    here

    ReplyDelete
  8. It depends on what people are reading, if they're interested to talk, and most importantly, my mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm the same way- i'll peer over someone's shoulder on the subway but i will almost never actually intiate a conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think seeing someone reading is a bit like seeing a mother with a new baby. Soemtimes the reader WANTS you to notice and share your responses - other times she does't want her silent enjoyment interrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There seem t be a lot of shy book lovers here at MM this week. I like that you havea friendly relationship with your bookstore owner, I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.