Monday, February 18, 2013

Musing Mondays - February 18th


If you'd like to play along on Musing Mondays, just click the button above to join in.



Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…

• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.

My Musing...

• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.

*NEW!* ... thanks to Caite, I'm adding a new weekly question to MM, and that is: Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!

*NEW!* ... Caite also inspired me to add: Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books -- let's hear it, then! :D



My Musing...

First, thanks to Caite for coming up with the new additional questions - a great idea!

I have a bookish rant...I love series books. I love reading about characters and seeing how they grow with each book.

 Not much of a rant, right?  Wait for it, I'm getting to it :)  Here it is...What really gets me is when I begin reading a book and have no clue it's part of a series. Many times there is no indication in the book I'm reading that it's part of a series until I actually start reading the book.  Then they mention characters and previous events as if I should know about them. Very annoying!

Sometimes I'll spend time online to try and figure out which books are in a series and in what order. Even when the book you are currently reading lists the books the author has previously written, there's no guarantee those books are part of the series or if they are listed in order. I think any book that's part of a series, should say the name of the series and book 1, 2, 3, etc. There should also be a chronological listing of the series so we know what to read next. I don't think I should have to search online for the right order to read books (sometimes the author's website doesn't even have the order of the books).

Although, I must say, FictFact is a great website for tracking series.  Not only does it list the order of most series books, but it lets you keep track of the ones you are reading, where you are up to and what new releases are coming out.  A great website.  If you love series, check it out.  I use it all the time.

That's it for me this week...what's on your mind?

7 comments:

  1. you have a point!
    of course, I just read 12 books in a series..backward. lol

    but if you want them in order, the LibraryThing web site is a great help. You can easily find all the books in order there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same issue, Yvonne...some authors do list the books in one of the front flaps, categorized by series. Not enough of them do that, though...GRRR! (I think Nora Roberts does).

    I'm reading a book now that's part of a series, and the previous books are listed in order; but if you hadn't read them, you wouldn't necessarily know they were part of a series.

    Here's MY MUSING MONDAYS POST


    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, completely agree.

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/02/musing-mondays_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rant is a good one, Yvonne! It helps to know that a book is part of a series before starting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Its happened to me a few times where I'll buy a book and start reading it only to realize its actually part of a series. And I don't like reading series books out of order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great rant. I don't read a lot of series books but recently bought a six pack of Lynda La Plante books and had to look online to see which to read first - sometimes I'll just look at publishing date if have all books on hand. My MM: http://daystarz.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/747/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.