Saturday, April 5, 2014

Review: Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay


Genre:
Mystery

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Books on Tape

Release Date:
2012





About the Book



Synopsis from Goodreads:

Dexter Morgan has been under considerable pressure. In trying to avoid the deep suspicions of the dangerous Sergeant Doakes--who believes Dexter is a homicidal maniac (which, of course, he is)--Dexter has had to slip further into his foolproof domestic disguise. While not working as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Police Department, he now spends nearly all his time with his girlfriend, Rita, and her two children. But how long can Dexter play Kick the Can instead of Slice the Slasher? How long before his Dark Passenger forces him to drop the charade of family life and let his inner monster run free? In trying times, opportunity knocks. A particularly nasty psychopath is cutting a trail through Miami--a man who "slices and dices and leaves vegetables behind." Dexter's dark appetite is revived, but it's not until his nemesis, Sergeant Doakes, is abducted that Dex can finally throw himself headlong into the search for a new plaything. Unless, of course, his plaything finds him first. With the incredible wit and freshness that made his first Dexter novel a best-seller, Jeff Lindsay brings back one of the most original, colorful narrators in years, and signals the arrival of a superb new series.

My Review

I absolutely love the TV series and hate that it's off the air. I miss it very much. So, I was really happy to see my library had the audio books based on the series. There are some differences, but the basics are the same. We follow the thoughts and actions of a serial killer, who only kills the people he feels deserves it. The narrator is a good one, although, I do wish Michael C. Hall narrated the series. However, it didn't stop me from enjoying the book as the reader captured Dexter's personality brilliantly.   Although *enjoy* is an odd word to use to describe a book filled with blood and gore. LOL

I think the book is more violent than the TV series and that's saying alot, since the series was filled with violence. Still, it keeps your attention and makes for some exciting listening material.  It even has Dexter's strange and dry humor throughout the book.   I'll certainly be listening to more of these books.




For reading challenges:
I Love Library Books Reading Challenge 2014

FTC Disclosure: I borrowed this book from the library. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.


4 comments:

  1. I just love the Dexter series. I am so glad that I can at least read it, because I miss the program so much! We even picked up Showtime just for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to read this series. I never did watch the show, but that's what NetFlix is for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More violent than the series, wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book and the series look good. I've been meaning to watch the show, but never found the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.