Monday, April 28, 2014

Review: Nine Lives Last Forever by Rebecca M. Hale


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Berkley Prime Crime

Release Date:
July 2010





Rebecca is settling into the antique store, the Green Vase, which her late uncle Oscar bequeathed to her. Unfortunately, her sales aren’t booming but it’s not stopping her from trying with the help of her beloved cats Rupert and Isabella.

Besides the shop, her uncle left her in the middle of a huge mystery. Suddenly frogs start appearing in the Green Vase and they seem to have invaded City Hall. Then Rebecca finds a letter from her uncle saying “follow the frogs”. Rebecca is surrounded by a variety of eccentric characters who all appear to be involved in the mystery which happens to involve missing money as well as frogs.

She also begins to doubt her uncle’s death as she is constantly smelling his secret chicken recipe. He never gave the recipe to anyone, not even her - or did he? There’s one cute scene where her cat, Rupert, smells the chicken too and proceeds to turn the house upside down looking for it.

This is the second book in Rebecca M. Hale’s “Cats and Curios Mystery” series. I have to stress, that I really believe readers should start with the first book and not jump into the middle of this series. There are many details that carry over from one book to the next.

This one is chockfull with tidbits of San Francisco history and it’s politics, including Harvey Milk, the city’s first openly gay elected office who was killed in 1978. I found the historic information interesting, but I thought it became a bit too much and a bit too detailed. I would have liked there to be more about Rebecca's life (plus her cats, of course). For most of the book, she is never referred to by her name. We find out towards the end of books 1 and 2 what her name is.

I’m hoping book #3 will go a little more into Rebecca’s personality and maybe we will get more character growth as the series moves along. I’m a few books behind in this series and it may already have happened. I’m planning to read book 3 soon.

For a change this isn’t a book I was sent to review, it’s part of my Nook e-book TBR that I bought myself and I’m using it for my “Just for Fun Reading Challenge”.



For reading challenges:
2014 Just For Fun Reading Challenge
2014 Mount TBR Reading Challenge




8 comments:

  1. Interesting! It sounds like it's got a lot of firsts for a cozy, at least the ones I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne, thanks for your honest review. The cover is purrfectly adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do need more cozy books in my life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that Harvey Milk shows up in this, there's a film on him. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for featuring this book and for showing an interest in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I read the first book but it was years ago. As I recall, I didn't love that one and although you enjoyed this one, I'm not sure I would. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds interesting and I'm curious about the frog angle, for some reason. The cover is cute with the cat playing with the frog... sounds like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would drive me insane not knowing the main character's name until the end of the book. But I love the cover art and the storyline seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.