Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Review: Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House by M.C. Beaton


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Blackstone Audio, Inc.

Release Date:
January 2013







The small town of Carsley is once again hit with a brand new mystery. An old woman reports that her home is haunted and she needs a ghost hunter. Feeling bored, Agatha Raisin volunteers and this time she’s accompanied by her handsome new neighbor, Paul Chatterton. It’s not long before they discover that the woman is very well hated and most likely the victim of a prank. When the woman winds up dead, Agatha is right there to lend her services as a private investigator. She might not officially be a PI, but as an amateur sleuth, she gets the job done better than the police. Not to mention that she’s more equipped to investigate than to hunt for ghosts.

Penelope Keith always does a wonderful job at narrating these books. I’ve become so used to her voice and I really enjoy her style of storytelling. She plays each character very well and they truly come to life. The characters become quite vivid to me.

This is the 14th book in the series. I’m racing right through them. At first I was annoyed that Agatha, a 50-something year old woman, immediately falls in love with her handsome new neighbors. It happens in each book and she anxiously awaits them to ask her to marry her. These proposals don’t come. Her roughness, crankiness and her brusqueness don’t match her falling in love so quickly, but by the 14th book, I just find it humorous.

I truly have come to adore Agatha and I never thought I would. She annoyed me to no end in the first couple of books, but now she’s like an old friend.

I’m looking forward to the next one.



For reading challenges:
2015 I Love Library Books Reading Challenge
2015 My Kind of Mystery Reading Challenge

Disclosure: I borrowed this book from the library. All opinions expressed are my own.


3 comments:

  1. I think I listened to the first few of these books a long time ago. I remember thinking the first one was so funny. And then I got annoyed with all the 'falling love' stuff. That was long before I was close to her age myself. I think I might try them again. I suspect that there are depths to the humor that I might appreciate more now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series. I didn't know Penelope Keith narrated them. I can imagine she would be marvelous.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.