Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Review: The Cake Therapist by Judy Fertig


Genre:
Women’s Fiction

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Berkley

Release Date:
June 2015







Life in New York takes a nosedive for pastry chef Claire “Neely” O’Neil as her marriage collapses. So she decides to pack up and move back to her hometown of Millcreek Valley in Ohio. Neely makes one of her dreams come true – she opens her own bakery, Rainbow Cake, which specializes in wedding cakes.

Flavors and taste are everything to Neely… they lead her to personal discoveries of her customers. Some of these discoveries are deep, dark secrets that some would rather she didn’t reveal. When Neely begins to taste a strange, intense flavor, it leads her to a story from the past. She’s not sure whose story it is, but she knows it effects the present and she must do whatever she can to find out the answers that have been hidden for several decades.

The story is told in two parts – present day and the early 1900’s. Present day is told from Neely’s point of view in the first person. The past is told in third person format. I didn’t realize how the two connected and wasn’t sure I’d enjoy this, but I kept reading and fell in love with the entire story. I absolutely could not put this book down and read it in only two days. I was totally engrossed in the plot and the characters.

Neely is an amazing character. She is a strong character who shows true concern for the people around here – even those she doesn’t really know very well. The secondary characters help to complete this story and bring it to life. The setting is quaint and fits the story very well. The plot has a nice mixture of romance and mystery throughout the storyline.

My one complaint is my overwhelming craving for cake as I read through this book. LOL I see there is a sequel coming up and I plan to be there for when that book is released. It looks to be just as good as this one. Prior to this book, the author wrote cookbooks. I think she’s now found her niche in fiction as well.



For reading challenges:
2015 I Love Library Books Reading Challenge
2015 Foodies Read Reading Challenge
Where are you reading? challenge (Ohio)

Disclosure: I borrowed this one from the library. All opinions expressed are my own.

6 comments:

  1. I've read some very positive things about this book. Am keeping it on my list. And that cover - I'd like a slice of that cake! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it sounds like I should bake a cake and then sit down and read this book. This one has been on my TBR for awhile so I'm pleased that you enjoyed it so much. Can't wait to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a super fun book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great read! And I want to make that cake!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.