Friday, August 7, 2015

Review: Agatha Raisin and The Perfect Paragon by M.C. Beaton


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Blackstone Audio Inc.

Release Date:
February 2013







Synopsis from Goodreads:

After nearly being killed by both a hired hit man and her former secretary, Agatha Raisin could use some low-key cases. So when Robert Smedley walks through the door, determined to prove that his wife is cheating, Raisin Investigations immediately offers to help. Trouble is, Agatha hates divorces cases–especially when the client is as pompous as Smedley–but she has a business to run and she’s not about to turn away a paying customer. Unfortunately for Agatha, Mabel Smedley appears to be the perfect wife–young and pretty and a regular volunteer at church.

Although Smedley’s case doesn’t look promising, Agatha’s attentions are diverted when she stumbles across the body of missing teenager Jessica Bradley. In a sudden gesture of kindness (and good public relations), Agatha offers to investigate Jessica’s death free of charge.

Agatha’s two biggest cases are turned upside down when Robert Smedley is poisoned. The prime suspect, his sainted wife, Mabel, immediately hires Agatha to find the real killer.

With the help of her old friend Sir Charles Fraith and some newly hired staff, Agatha Raisin sets off on another crime-solving adventure in the English Cotswolds.

My Review

I had the pleasure of listening to another Agatha Raisin adventure (#16!). There’s not much else I can say about this series that I haven’t already said. I do enjoy listening to Agatha’s latest escapades. She can be both a fun and exasperating character.

She’s still too quick to fall in love with any handsome guy she meets. Not to mention that she’s always wondering if they will propose marriage five minutes after she meets them. LOL Plus, there’s still too much talk about her being in her mid-50’s. Really, that’s not all that old. You’d think she was 90 the way they talk.

I keep coming back for more so I must be enjoying this series :) The author is keeping this series fresh by adding new characters all the time.  Giving Agatha her own detective agency opened the way for more storyline possibilities, too. 

Quick, easy mystery stories with a cast of crazy characters.   It makes my work commute more enjoyable since commuting is never an enjoyable thing.



For reading challenges:
I Love Library Books Reading Challenge 2015

Disclosure: I borrowed the audio book from the library. All opinions expressed are my own.


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed all the books in this series. Agatha is one of my favorite mystery characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it seems you're getting hooked on Agatha ;) And noooo, 50ish is not that old !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a good series but there are so many books that it would take me quite a while to catch up. Especially with taking breaks for the other books on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.