Tuesday, September 8, 2015

First Chapter Tuesdays/Teaser Tuesdays - September 8th


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where we share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book we are reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

http://adailyrhythm.com/

If you'd like to play along on Teaser Tuesdays, just click the button above.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


I've been looking forward to this one and it's good so far.




First chapter...

I laced my fingers, cracked my knuckles, and stared at the few words on my laptop screen. Behind me, the hum of early morning conversation in Hot Stuff Coffee Shop went on as usual. Back when I was a kid visiting my aunt Rowena, the shop was called Das Kaffeehaus, in keeping the German heritage here in Lavender, heart of the Texas Hill Country. Then a transplant from San Antonio bought the place and changed the name to Hot Stuff. He traded the old oom-pah-pah background music for seventies disco tunes. I'd choose listening to Donna Summer over any polka band in history, but I had to wonder why he didn't go with a country music theme. After all, this was Texas.

Boot Scootin' Coffee, perhaps.


Teaser...

"Gosh, do I look like I've been in a fight with a cat?"

She grinned.  "No, I meant has the cat caused you bad luck?"

"Not yet," I said, playing along rather than pointing out that cats do not affect luck.



What do you think? Would you continue?

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like it could be a fun read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read to me. Hope you enjoy it Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! but don't they give you bad luck? I'm a believer in that tail <-- see what I did there ;)
    trish - my teaser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would continue.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it could be fun to read, I'm fairly superstitious but I've always thought that was so unfair on the black cats!
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/tuesday-intros-and-teaser-tuesdays_8.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might be a fun read - I love coffee and love my black cat. Which has not brought me any bad luck as far as I can tell! Here's my teaser for this week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/teaser-tuesdaysfirst-chapter-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the intro and am glad to know it is the first in a series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mysteries and especially if they have humor. Looks like one to watch for.
    Mine this week is also a mystery, third in Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January series: http://wp.me/pZnGI-ps

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the opening lines and how the author brings us into the setting. The teaser made me smile. Thanks for sharing...and enjoy.

    Here's mine: “MY SALINGER YEAR”

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to read books set in my home state of Texas. Austin is an especially interesting town--state capital, home to a huge university, beautiful Hill Country setting. The opening of this book definitely drew me in.
    My Tuesday post features Shadow of the Hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this opening and the setting of the Hill Country. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the "feel" of the opening paragraph and liked the humor in the teaser you shared. Of course cats don't affect luck! Although, I kind of think my cats bring me good luck. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would keep reading- anything with a cat in it is good with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fun though I do have to wonder what the deal is with the polka music!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen this one around lately and it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one is on my wish list. I have a black cat and never thought she was bad luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.