Saturday, January 15, 2022

Review: Calamity at Kryme Cottage by Brian Kavanagh

 


About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Vivid Publishing

Release Date
November 4, 2020


Synopsis from Goodreads


A mysterious woman in black, appears at night.
Arriving in horse and carriage.
Stays at Kyrme Cottage, then at night – disappears.
She always wears black lace.
Abbey Combe's new Vicar vanishes overnight.
A corpse found buried in the garden.
Murder in Richmond Park.
And the link with Jane Austen!

These mysteries confront amateur sleuths, Belinda Lawrence and Hazel Whitby in the Somerset village of Milford.

Among the eccentrics is the shadowy Madam Malefic.

She's nuttier than any fruit cake Escoffier ever baked.

My Review

Belinda Lawrence returns to her home in Milford after being in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia.  She returns with her friend Hazel  She never expected to have so many different things happening such as a new neighbor, a new Vicar and some strange people staying at Kryme Cottage nearby.

Then, the new Vicar disappears and Belinda finds a dead body buried in her garden.  Hazel and Belinda put on their amateur detective hats and try to find the new Vicar, as well as the identity of who is in Belinda’s garden.  

This is the 8th book in the series.  I’ve read previous ones and loved them.  This is the best one yet.  So many eccentric characters and a couple of side storylines to figure out.  Although the mystery is contained in this book with no cliff hangers, I think you’d want to start this series with the first book.  It’s the best way to get to know Belinda.  She’s a strong character and so much fun to read about.

The book is set in the UK and has a classic mystery and gothic feel to it.  A good, old fashioned whodunnit with several possible suspects and many twists and turns along the way.  I read this book in one sitting and it was a delightful way to spend my day.  

I’m hoping there will be more books in the series.  I’m already missing reading about Belinda’s adventures.  



For reading challenges:

Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2022
Cruisin’thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2022 (Outside the US)
The European Reading Challenge 2022 (UK-England)


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from the author. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.