Friday, February 23, 2024

Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56 - February 23rd





This week I'm joining in Book Beginnings on Friday. It's hosted by Rose City Reader.  This is where we post the beginning of the books we are reading or will be reading.  






I'm also joining in for the Friday 56.  

Freda at Freda's Voice started and hosted The Friday 56 for a long, long time. She is taking a break and Anne at My Head if Full of Books has taken on hosting duties in her absence. Please visit Anne's blog and link to your Friday 56 post.


Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

It's that simple.



I haven't started this one yet, but it's on my TBR and looks good.  









Book Beginnings

Hello and welcome to Colonial Candles!  My name is Mags McAllister, and I'm part of the eighth generation of McAllisters to have settled in beautiful Larkhaven, Georgia.

From 56% on my e-reader 

The next thing I knew, my alarm system was whooping and hollering downstairs.

Synopsis from Goodreads:

A Haunted Mystery, A Magical Cat & A Modern-Day Candlestick Maker

I’m Mags McAllister, and I am an honest-to-goodness modern-day candlestick maker. I work in my family’s shop in the historic district of Larkhaven, Georgia, and also make a pretty penny from sharing videos of my process online.

My life is simple, quiet, and all mine… until a white cat with mismatched eyes shows up outside my shop and refuses to leave. When I take him home, things get really weird. As in, I can now see things and people that were never there before.

It gets even freakier when a voiceless spirit introduces herself to me via a handwritten letter. This specter claims that I share her name and will also share her fate if we can’t solve the mystery that’s haunted our town since 1781… and quickly, because she won’t be able to maintain her strength for much longer.

Talk about a cold case! Can I actually find a way to free my eighteenth-century counterpart? Or has my new feline companion just signed my death warrant by opening my eyes to the secret supernatural plane in our otherwise sleepy small town?

What do you think?  What are you sharing today?



9 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delightful read! I love the kitten with the two different eye-colours and how it just stares right at you as the reader, definitely gives off spooky vibes! I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't know if the photo is important to the plot but I love the photo of the cat. I had a white cat with one blue, one gold eye. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun cover and I love the teasers! I've been enjoying ghostly mysteries lately. I hope you love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks good. The kitty on the cover looks like my angel Snowball with the 2 different eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another spooky one, it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A haunted mystery! How fun! I do like the sound of this. From the teasers, this sounds like it has a good dose of humor in it as well. Always a plus for me! Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoy this one when you do start it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like the character is talking directly to the reader, and I like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.