Monday, August 31, 2015

First Chapter Tuesdays/Teaser Tuesdays - September 1st


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where we share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book we are reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

http://adailyrhythm.com/

If you'd like to play along on Teaser Tuesdays, just click the button above.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


I wasn't going to read this one yet, but I started it over the weekend and immediately fell in love with it. So, I continued even if it messed up my reading schedule :)





First Chapter...

Our Mrs. Kaplan is not what you would call competitive. Now her late husband, Sam (of blessed memory), he was competitive. As a young man he was a terrific tennis player, and he never tired of telling us about how he once beat a world champion, even if at the time Sam was sixteen and the champion was only twelve and had not yet hit his stride. He also told us how he won Mrs. K's hand by outmaneuvering two sclemiels who were trying to win her first. But Mrs. K? Even at bridge she plays only for fun, never to win, and don't think that doesn't drive her partners crazy. Sometimes I tell her, "Rose," I say, "even if you don't care whether you win or not, would it kill you to try a little harder for your partner's sake, at least when I'm your partner?


Teaser...

Other people might want to be the champion at hitting baseballs, throwing footballs, or bouncing basketballs, but Mrs. K only cares to be the best at one thing, and that is matzoh balls.


So, what do you think?  Would you keep reading?

10 comments:

  1. Nice teaser, sounds like an interesting read. Here's mine: http://www.sharonsbooknook.com/2015/09/01/teaser-tuesday-never-forgotten/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! sounds like a good read!
    trish - my teaser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you just have to read a book, even when it messes up your reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy when I fall in love with a story I wasn't planning to read...it reminds me of how much fun spontaneity can be! Thanks for sharing, and these two characters sound delightful.

    Here's mine: “DRIVING LESSONS”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! This sounds like such fun. That's happened to me too--I just want to take a peek with no intention of settling into a particular book and the next thing I know, I'm almost done with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your teaser. Here is mine
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2015/09/teaser-tuesday-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the narrator's voice. This sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the title and the cover of the book! This intro makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.