Monday, June 12, 2017

Review: The Sunshine Sisters by Jane Green



Genre:
Women’s Fiction

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:


Release Date:
June 6, 2017





Synopsis from Goodreads:

Ronni Sunshine left London for Hollywood to become a beautiful, charismatic star of the silver screen. But at home, she was a narcissistic, disinterested mother who alienated her three daughters.

As soon as possible, tomboy Nell fled her mother's overbearing presence to work on a farm and find her own way in the world as a single mother. The target of her mother s criticism, Meredith never felt good enough, thin enough, pretty enough. Her life took her to London and into the arms of a man whom she may not even love. And Lizzy, the youngest, more like Ronni than any of them, seemed to have it easy, using her drive and ambition to build a culinary career to rival her mother's fame, while her marriage crumbled around her.

But now the Sunshine Girls are together again, called home by Ronni, who has learned that she has a serious disease and needs her daughters to fulfill her final wishes. And though Nell, Meredith, and Lizzy are all going through crises of their own, their mother s illness draws them together to confront old jealousies and secret fears and they discover that blood might be thicker than water after all.

My Review

Ronni Sunshine is about to face the biggest challenge of her life. She has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and wants to right the wrongs she feels she has done to her three daughters. Thanks to her coldness and constant criticism of her girls, they all went their separate ways. The sisters are not close and don’t even like each other. Ronni is determined to change all that as her final wish.

Meredith, Nell, and Lizzy have no idea how sick their mother is and really want no part of seeing each other or her again. However, Ronni is their mother and, once summoned, they answer the call despite the problems they are each facing in their own lives.

Nell is trying to make her farm a success while raising her son alone. Money is tight and she’s not sure they are going to make it. Meredith is about to marry a domineering man that nobody likes. Lizzy has a successful career, but her marriage is falling apart.

This is a story of family, hope and finding the true meaning of your life. I have to admit, this one started off slow for me. I didn’t particularly like any of the characters at first. It took me a long time to warm up to them, but then when I did, I found myself really caring about them.

It gives a realistic look at family relationships. Not all are happy ones, but it’s not hopeless either. It’s a poignant, sad and heartwarming story.




FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


4 comments:

  1. Yvonne, I enjoyed your review. This new book sounds real and readable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably like this book, but my tbr list is so long.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.