Saturday, November 18, 2023

Review: Next-Door Nemesis by Alexa Martin

 



About the Book 


Genre
Romance

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Berkley

Release Date
November 14, 2023

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Two rival candidates for a homeowner’s association presidency are about to find out how dirty suburbanites fight in this steamy new romantic comedy from Alexa Martin.

After years of hustling, Collins Carter has finally made it...back to her parents’ house. Between tending to the compost with her newly retired dad and running into her high school nemesis at the only decent coffee shop in town, Collins realizes this subdivision from hell she swore she’d never return to is her rock bottom.

Then the homeowner’s association complaint arrived.

Nathaniel Adams always dreamed of a nice, quiet life in his suburban hometown. Or at least that’s what he thought until Collins moved back and sent his quaint, organized life into a tailspin. He thought Collins was infuriating ten years ago, but when she announces she’s running against him for HOA president, all bets are off.

From secret board meetings to vicious smear campaigns whispered over backyard fences, Collins and Nate sink to levels their sleepy suburb has never seen before. But as hate turns into lust, these two enemies are forced to reckon with the feelings they’ve ignored for years. If only there were bylaws for real life.

My Review

After a nasty breakup with her boyfriend, Collins Carter loses everything.  Even her career is over, thanks to him.  She leaves Los Angeles and heads back to her hometown in Ohio to live with her parents.  When she runs into her former high school boyfriend, Nathaniel Adams, they clash in a big way.  It ends up with Collins and her parents receiving a homeowner’s association complaint.  Collins is not going to take this without a fight.

Collins decides to run against Nate for HOA president.  While he likes everything nice and orderly, she wants to get rid of the HOA rules.  It’s a battle to the end for these two, but they can’t put their old feelings aside quite that easily.  

This book is pure fun.  Who knew a story about a homeowner’s association could be so enjoyable?  The cast of characters is crafted to perfection.  I fell in love with every one of them, except for Collin’s ex.

The sparks between Nate and Collins heat up every page.  They nearly melted my e-reader.  I never read anything by this author before, but I really like her writing style and her clever idea for a storyline. She had me laughing and crying through the whole book.   I’ll be keeping an eye open for more books by this author.

 

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. As many HOA horror stories as I've heard, I'm not sure I could get very far into this book. It sounds worth trying, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.