Sunday, September 1, 2013

Musing Mondays - Reviews


If you'd like to play along on Musing Mondays, just click the button above to join in.


This week’s musing, courtesy of Dr. Pepper Diva, asks…  

What is your favorite part of a review?




My Musing...


For me,  it's about discovering new-to-me authors and sometimes even new-to-me genres.  I basically read reviews for a synopsis of the book.  I've found the blurbs in books either aren't enough or can even be misleading sometimes.  Even though I give ratings on my reviews, I don't really pay much attention to them on reviews because we all have different likes and dislikes.  I can't tell you how many times I rates something 5 kitties and other people panned it - and vice versa.  To each his own, I always say.

Oh - one thing I don't like about reviews is when they go into too much detail.  I don't want to read spoilers.  I prefer to read and watch a story unfold for myself.  


9 comments:

  1. Hi Yvonne,

    I totally agree with you - every person has his own opinion.

    I've just given an example at Should be Reading: Mizb wrote that she hated 100 Years of Solitude and I, on the other hand, loved it. Every book lover has his own opinion :)

    Here's my musing:
    Musing mondays - finding your blogging voice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to avoid spoilers to usually only read reviews after finishing a book.

    Here's my Musing

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, I don't like to read spoilers in reviews, either.

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/09/musing-mondays.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to get a general feel for the book too but without TOO much detail. :) Yes blurbs are sometimes useless. For me, I don't do ratings because they're so subjective, but I think most reviewers do and it probably helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like spoilers either and I do want a general view on the storyline and the characters in the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer reviews to be short and sweet. I don't like too much information either. I much prefer to go into a book without too much information.
    I have discovered books that are out of my normal genres, and that has been great.
    -Dilettantish Reader

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the same with ratings cos I know that I rating from someone means something else to someone else

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, everyone has their own likes, dislikes. The thing to do, IMO, is to find a blogger whose likes/dislikes match yours for book suggestions.


    Sonia Lal @ Story Treasury

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely prefer reviews to be short and sweet...no soilers needed and no recap needed...I have the blurb for that! I just want to know impressions and opinions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.