Monday, May 12, 2014

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter Tuesdays - May 13th


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where we share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book we are reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?



If you'd like to play along on Teaser Tuesdays, just click the button above.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


This week, I'm reading...


Empty shops are the death knell for small businesses. The thought nagged at me as I read, curled up in my favorite overstuffed armchair. Wednesdays were notoriously slow for all the South Cove businesses. Not many tourists included the day in an impulsive California coastal weekend getaway, but I liked to be open, just in case a random busload of quilting seniors decided to stop for a shot of espresso and a few novels to read while they traveled to their next stop on the tour. It had happened.

Once.

The mortgage papers on the building listed me as Jill Gardner, owner of Coffee, Books, and More, the only combination bookstore and coffee shop within sixty miles. But as anyone who's gone through a divorce or lawsuit knows, paper only tells half the story. I might own the shop, but I'm also one of the world's biggest suckers.


Would you keep reading?




19 comments:

  1. I like it! I would read more. Thanks for joining us Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this too, I'd read more, and I love the book cover design. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes....I think I would keep reading this one! Sounds like a fun read!
    Today I'm spotlighting The Daring Ladies of Lowell.
    http://mytime2read.blogspot.com/2014/05/tuesday-memes-daring-ladies-of-lowell.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This first chapter does reel you in! I want to know more about the bookshop in the middle of nowhere!
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would keep readiMy teasers this week are from Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn and The Summer Invitation by Charlotte Silver. Happy reading!ng! I wonder what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read this one...it's on my wish list.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-60.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good mystery, and this one sounds interesting :) Thanks for sharing! Here is my teaser from Out of Reach by Missy Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes, I do want to keep reading! The setting alone (California coast, bookstore, coffee shop) would keep me reading. Love the cover, too.

    Here's mine: “THE ARSONIST”

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful Intro/Teaser. And I do want a Guidebook for Murder...

    Here is my Intro post!

    AND

    Here is my teaser post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would definitely keep reading! A bookshop and a mystery? I couldn't resist. The intro grabbed me right away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had not heard of this one -- sounds good! Mine: Blood Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  12. The story sucked me in immediately. Would like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was kind of turned off by the cover and title, but I loved the intro! I want to know what makes her such a sucker!
    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-bittersweet-miranda-beverly-whittemore/

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Guidebook to Murder--that could come in handy! Mysteries are my mainstay for contemporary books.

    My teaser today is from a series mystery. http://wp.me/pZnGI-7n

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jill sounds like an interesting character. Would love to know her back story after the last half of that teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this sounds like a great read and I love the cover art! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great start! Now I have to know in what way is she a big sucker.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice intro, too bad I can't visit the place. :) Coffee and books, can't go wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would continue, Jill Gardner sounds like a very nice and honest woman whom I would like to know more about.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.