Saturday, April 1, 2017

Review: The Eye of Nefertiti: A Pharaoh’s Cat Novel by Maria Luisa Lang


Genre:
Fantasy

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Maria Luisa Lang

Release Date:
November 28, 2016







Synopsis from Goodreads:

The Eye of Nefertiti is both a stand-alone novel and a sequel to The Pharaoh’s Cat. The time-traveling ancient Egyptian feline with human powers returns together with his beloved Pharaoh and his close friends, the High Priest of Amun-Ra and Elena, an Egyptologist’s daughter.

The cat is quick-witted, wise-cracking narrator as well as free-spirited, ever-curious protagonist, and the story he tells is an exotic, imaginative, spell-binding tragicomedy. The cat travels from present-day New York City to England, both ancient and modern, then to ancient Egypt, where he confronts a horrible demon and experiences a sublime emotion. Once back in England, he descends into a psychological abyss so deep only the Pharaoh can save him.

The Eye of Nefertiti interweaves feline and human, past and present, natural and supernatural. It contains numerous surprises, twists and turns, intriguing characters, both human and animal, fascinating revelations about ancient Egyptian history and culture, and an ingenious application of the Tarot and an Italian opera.

Maria Luisa Lang was born in Rome, Italy, and lives in New York City. She has a degree in art history and is an amateur Egyptologist. The Eye of Nefertiti is her second novel. Her first novel, The Pharaoh’s Cat, is also available on Amazon in paperback and in a Kindle edition.


My Review

This isn’t my usual genre, but I couldn’t resist a book starring a cat. I was a bit nervous that I wouldn’t like it, however, I was pleasantly surprised. This cat narrates the book – he is a feline with attitude. He’s the reason the term “catitude” came into existence, I’m sure :)  All the characters – both feline and humans - are well-written and the plot moves along at a nice pace.

I practically devoured this book. It oozes with charm. It has a nice blend of everything from mystery, adventure, and even a touch of romance. I must warn you – the cat does talk and have some human traits. That might be a problem for some, but this is a fantasy and I loved every minute of it.

This book is a sequel to The Pharaoh’s Cat. I didn’t read that one, but it didn’t stop me from enjoying this book on its own. The good thing is this book, also, gives you the background needed to give the reader a good feel for what is happening and why.

I’m hoping there will be another book to follow.



For reading challenges:
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2017

FTC Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book from the author. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. Yvonne, I'm glad you enjoyed this cat novel. It sounds wonderful in every way! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my genre either but I enjoyed the review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.