Thursday, April 13, 2017

Review: Familiar Escape by Caroline Burnes



Genre:
Romantic Suspense

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Harlequin Intrigue

Release Date:
March 14, 2006






Synopsis from Goodreads:

FAMILIAR ALWAYS KNOWS BEST!

Molly Harper's sister had been killed—and her baby niece had been kidnapped. Now, the only man she could depend on to help her solve the crime—and bring Baby Kate to safety—was Thomas Lakewood.

Trouble was, Thomas was the prime suspect. But Molly and Familiar were convinced he was innocent. And in a race against time, could Molly, Thomas and Familiar join forces to clear his name and find Baby Kate before their chances for a future were destroyed forever?

My Review

I always loved the Harlequin Intrigue line. The “Fear Familiar” series was one of the first I used to follow. Familiar Escape is the 20th book in the series. It’s been awhile since I read #19, but I saw my library had it as an e-book and I couldn’t resist. I, also, noticed the author is re-releasing the series. I knew I had to go back to it and I’m so glad I did. It was like re-visiting an old friend.

This series focuses on a feline amateur sleuth named Familiar. Familiar doesn’t have special powers, nor does he talk to humans. He does narrate parts of the book so we get to hear what he’s thinking, but he doesn’t verbalize to people. He’s simply a cat that solves crimes :)

Besides Familiar, there are other characters in the book. LOL Our main characters are Molly and Thomas. Things start off rocky since Thomas has been arrested for murdering Molly’s sister, but – with some convincing from Familiar, Molly believes he’s innocent. They team up to not only clear Thomas’ name, but to find Molly’s infant niece who disappeared after Molly’s sister is murdered. The police have already written baby Kate off as being murdered as well. Molly isn’t buying it since no body has been found.

As their investigation progresses, Molly and Thomas don’t know who they can trust except each other and Familiar. It doesn’t take long for the couple to grow closer and closer.

The story is heavy on the mystery with a little romance thrown in – just the way I like it. This was a very quick read for me. It’s well-written and the characters come to life on each page. I’m looking forward to catching up with Familiar in his next adventure.



For reading challenges:
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2017
The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2017
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2017

I borrowed this from my library. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.



8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I've read any Harlequin Intrigue and definitely nothing in the Familiar series but this sounds fun! I love that the cat is a regular cat who happens to solve crimes and I like my romantic suspense heavy on the mystery as well. I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Familiar is based on my own cat, E.A. Poe, who could communicate his disdain of humans very well. FEAR FAMILIAR is reissued for .99 cents in digital, and TOO FAMILIAR will be out for .99 cents in May. I hope you like the stories.

      Delete
  2. I definitely have not read a series where a cat is one of the main characters!! Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne, I'm glad you enjoyed reading this cat-driven mystery. It sounds like a very cute cat cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that the cat is a main character, but at #20, I don't think I want to start the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reissuing the first books. FEAR FAMILIAR is out now at Amazon.com for only .99 cents. TOO FAMILIAR will release in May, also for .99. These are the first two in the Familiar series, but I'm going to start a brand new series in July with Trouble, son of Familiar. While Familiar believes he's a Humphrey Bogart kind of cat, Trouble patterns himself after Sherlock Holmes, as played by Benedict Cumberbatch. It's a ton of fun for the writers! And I hope the readers.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.