Sunday, July 12, 2009

Musing Mondays - Book Covers



Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about book covers…

We all know the old adage about not judging a book by it’s cover, but just how much sway does a book cover have when it comes to your choice of book – whether buying or borrowing? Are there any books you’ve bought based on the cover alone?

I love book covers! For some odd reason I love book covers with snow, beaches or water on it. I have no idea why. LOL But...I don't buy a book based on the covers. I make a list each month of what I want and I get those regardless of whether or not I like the covers.

I do admit that sometimes, when aimlessly browsing the bookstores, I see a cover that I like, I'll get the book even if it wasn't on my list. I can't think of which books they were, but I do know it has happened.

Being a romance reader many of the books can be quite explicit and I hate that. It makes it awkward to read a book in public.

Besides the snow and beaches covers, I also like the cartoon type of book covers. Some of them, not all. Some are just silly. I'm not big on the covers with people embracing each other, unless done tastefully.

I don't really like to generalize book covers. Overall, I don't buy based on the book cover, but if something strikes my fancy, I'll get it.


i iz blogginz / leef IÂ alonze
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment on romance/chick-lit covers. Many of those stories aren't all bad but their covers are atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me think...... One book I bought solely because I fell in love with its cover was Nicole Mones' "The Last Chinese Chef" and I loved the book too. Had to buy the next one "A Cup Of Light" because the cover is a variation on the first, and something about its design speaks to me.

    I too make lists of books I want to read, but sometimes a title will jump out at me and I have to read it just in case. Sometimes it works, and the book is good, sometimes, spectacularly NOT. Currently on the growing pile at the end of my desk is one of the former: couldn't resist buying "The Master Butchers Singing Club" by Louise Erdrich. What a title. Will let you know what its like when I get to it... or have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mae - I think the entire romance/ chick lit genres should re-think their covers. Some aren't bad, but the ones that are bad - are truly awful.

    Chat Noir - No, I haven't read the Erdrich book. I look forward to your thoughts on it. Most times I try not buy by the cover, mainly because my buying is already out of hand and having a list helps buying too much - sort of. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that some romance and sci-fi covers are often just a bit too much...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. While a book cover will not be the deciding factor in whether I read a book, it sometimes will be the reason I pick it up to take a closer look. Attractive covers do have a way of catching the eye!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.