Friday, March 8, 2019

Review: Corned Beef and Casualties by Lynn Cahoon



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Lyrical Press

Release Date:
February 5, 2019









Synopsis from Goodreads:

South Cove, California, is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day—and there’s going to be a parade of suspects . . .

Jill Gardner’s store, Coffee, Books, and More, is raking in the green as her little coastal town holds a big festival for St. Patrick’s Day. But the locals aren’t exactly feeling the luck of the Irish, thanks to the rowdy behavior of some of the tourists who are pouring in.

Then a woman who just visited Jill’s shop is found dead near the shore. The fireworks display on the beach may have already happened, but the real fireworks have just begun…

My Review

It’s St. Patrick’s Day in the small town of South Cove, California. The tourists are having a great time partying. The drinks are flowing and the fireworks are blasting, but one tourist is partying a bit too much and is found murdered.

Jill Gardner, owner of Coffee, Books and More, is shocked to hear of the murder. She had met this tourist only a few hours earlier. Although her cop boyfriend warns against it, Jill can’t help but stick her nose in this investigation. She is determined to find out what happened to this woman.

I always have a great time visiting South Cove and catching up with Jill and her friends. This is one of those “feel good” series that keeps drawing you back for more. It’s number 10 in the series and a novella. I’ve really been enjoying these shorter episodes in this series. It tides me over until the next full length book is released.

Although this is part of a series, I don't think you had to read the previous ones to enjoy this.  The mystery is contained in this story and doesn't leave you with a cliffhanger.  Of course I think it's always best to read these series from the start so you get to know the characters and watch them grown.

It’s a quick read with an intriguing mystery to figure out. It’s a great way for me to relax for a couple of hours.  Corned Beef and Casualties is the perfect book for this time of year.



For reading challenges:
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2019
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2019 (California)
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2019

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


2 comments:

  1. I usually don't start a series with so many books in it already, but since these are short and all the books in this series that you've reviewed have sounded good so I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one as well and agree about being able to jump into this one. It's always fun to visit Jill and everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.