Thursday, July 19, 2012

Booking Through Thursday-Series or Stand-alone?



If you'd like to join in on Booking Through Thursday, just click the button above.



This week's question...

A while ago, I interviewed my readers for a change, and my final question was, “What question have I NOT asked at BTT that you’d love me to ask?” I got some great responses and will be picking out some of the questions from time to time to ask the rest of you. Like now.

Vampira2468 asks:

Series or Stand-alone?

My answer...

I don't really have a favorite. If the stories are good, I'll read either a series book or a stand-alone. I do love series books though. I think that's why I love the cozy mysteries so much. Generally, they are a series of books with the same characters in the same location. With each book you see a growth in the characters and it's like re-visiting old friends. But...I like any book with a good story - series or stand-alone it doesn't matter.

funny cat pictures - It's not paranoia if they are out to get you.
see more

10 comments:

  1. Must be something real interesting out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cats XD I do know what you mean with the revisiting old friends and the mysteries! I think the mysteries are a great example of a mix between stand-alone and series, because each has its own plot. Thanks for sharing! :)
    My BTT
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to be able to choose both. Here's my BTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes it's good to mix it up.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/07/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, if the story is good, you want to read on.

    http://citygirlwholovestoread.blogspot.com/2012/07/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't participate today, but I'm with you...either a series or a stand-alone works for me, depending on the characters and the stories.

    A series is definitely a great way to revisit favorite characters, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute! I think all of your cat pics are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yvonne,

    I am not too bothered whether a book is stand alone, or part of a series, although a book which is part of a series also needs to work as a stand alone, if that makes sense.

    I don't need to know all about a characters history to enjoy their present story, but by the same token, I don't like continual references to past events or people about which I know nothing.

    I am notoriously bad at reading a series of books in sequence, but much of that is down to the fact that most of my book bargains come from various charity shops and are therefore sometimes quite elderly and out of date.

    Interesting question,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like series in cozy mysteries too. Unfortunately I have read a lot of books in other genres that are stretched out in a trilogy, but could have, and should have, been done in a stand alone. Series are great when the characters are interesting enough that I want to read about them again and again. Cozies often offer up the most interesting of characters in my book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.