Monday, June 3, 2013

Musing Mondays - June 3rd


If you'd like to play along on Musing Mondays, just click the button above to join in.



Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…


  • Describe one of your reading habits.
  • Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
  • Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
  • Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
  • Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
  • Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books -- let's hear it, then! :D



My Musing...

Today a few blogs are talking about reading habits, so I thought I would too.

For years I've been keeping a notebook of what I read and then I added an Excel spreadsheet, but I always kept my notebook. It's a good thing, too, since I had a problem with the spreadsheet and it was just too time-consuming to recreate it. I still use that same notebook - which has the title, author, if it's part of a series, date read and my own personal rating. It helps me know what I've read and if I liked it. It's a huge help for future reading choices.

Now, we've come a long way since the notebook days with social media places like Goodreads, Shelfari, and Library Thing. I belong to all of them, but I mainly hang out on Goodreads and keep my books up-to-date over there. Plus, of course, I have my blog where I keep track of all that I've read as well.

Reading challenges are another good way for me to keep track of what I've read. My challenge posts lists everything I've read for a particular challenge.

The funny thing is, I sometimes think I spend more time logging in what I've read and posting it then actually reading. Before online days, I used to just read a book, log it in my notebook and move onto the next thing. No writing reviews or anything like that. Now, I write reviews for everything I read - requested or not. All this keeping track and reviewing is taking up precious reading time, but...........I must admit, I'm having fun. That's the important thing, Right?


11 comments:

  1. Blogging about books does take time away from actual reading! But, at least it is writing, the "other side" of reading.

    Interesting musing today, Yvonne! :)

    (P.S. I'm so glad you're back to good ole' Blogger comments!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suko! I'm finding it much easier too :)

      Delete
  2. i keep track of my reading by shelfari and goodreads, i find it easier to keep track online. reading challenges are good for keeping track of what you read too but this year i think i've bitten more than i could chew. T_T but im definitely determined to read 100 books this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still determined to read 100 books this year too but it's going to be hard for me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I never kept track of my reading before blogging. In college, I didn't read many books for "pleasure," and then afterwards, I just enjoyed them. Didn't think about documenting them. I usually knew what I'd read. But I like the reviewing and documenting; it tells a story and that feels good. It's an achievement.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're having fun, it's all good! =) In the days before I found Goodreads, I kept Excel spreadsheets of the books I read too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're not having fun it's more like a chore and it's a bad thing when your blog feels like a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a newbie bookworm and I agree, all the things we do - reading, jotting notes in our notebook, and blog has been so much fun.

    Thanks for hopping in my musing this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad I am not the only one who jots things down in a notebook. I was never very good at it before blogging although I did try, now however I write in my book notebook all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Library Thing and have for a long time..and I love it. at first I read a lot of the members threads..now I use it pretty much just to log my books. and not buy the same one again, something I have almost done several times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely need to get more organized!...lol thanks for stopping by my site earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.