Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Review: The 1st Victim by Tami Hoag


Genre:
Suspense

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Penguin Publishing

Release Date:
May 2013




It’s New Year’s Day and Jeannie Reiser hasn’t heard from her teenage daughter, Rose, in several days. After the death of Jeannie’s husband, Rose always kept in close contact with her mother even though she has been away at college. Jeannie reports Rose as missing to the police but they aren’t taking the case seriously. Rose is 18 years old and they figure kids that age often don’t contact their parents when they are at college. Jeannie can’t make them understand the special bond she shares with Rose. So, she takes matters into her own hands and tries to find her daughter herself.

Detectives Sam Kovac and Nikki Laska are called to the scene when a young girl is found dead alongside a road. She has no identification and is labeled New Year’s Jane Doe. The detectives are determined to find out who she is and give her family some type of closure.

Jeannie’s search leads her to Kovac and Laska, but is their Jane Doe her daughter?

This is a short novella but it’s packed with intense drama. I couldn’t put this down for a second. It’s part of Hoag’s Kovac and Laska series, which I didn’t realize before I started reading. It didn’t matter that I didn’t read the previous books (this is #3.5) as the mystery itself stood alone and seems to be a kind of prequel to the next book in the series. It appears that book #4, The 9th Girl, picks up where this one left off. So, I will definitely be reading that one too and, most likely, going back and start from the beginning. I want to know more about Kovac and Laska.

This is edge-of-your-seat reading. I know I kept anticipating what was going to happen and I was totally absorbed into this story. Sometimes novellas don’t have much of an impact on the readers, but I thought this one did.



FTC Disclosure: NetGalley provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

For Reading Challenge:
2014 NetGalley Reading Challenge

3 comments:

  1. Yvonne, this does sound like an intense novella. Very good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my kind of book, and I love novellas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have read a book by her way back

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.