Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter Tuesdays - June 24th


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where we share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book we are reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?



If you'd like to play along on Teaser Tuesdays, just click the button above.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


This week, I'm reading...



Ridley Ridge. How had I lived a whole month and a half at Wynter Castle, my inherited digs near Autumn Vale in upstate New York, without visiting Ridley Ridge, the next closest town?

Just lucky, I guess.

And I, Merry Wynter, an almost-forty not-so-merry widow and apparent inheritor of a nineteenth-century mill baron's castlelike home, would not be visiting the town again unless I had to. I looked up and down the windswept road - gray, drab buildings, litter on the streets, one person peeping out at me from between horizontal blinds - and shivered. The winds of October in upstate New York were upon us, and I was in Ridley Ridge because I had it on good authority that they had - wait for it - a party store in town. A party store. In the drabbest, saddest town I had ever seen. Who in their right mind would open a party store in Ridley Ridge? Did they also own a bikini shop in Anchorage? A liquor store in Salt Lake City?


What do you think? Would you continue reading?

19 comments:

  1. *Shudder* Does not sound like a pleasant town to visit. I actually have a cozy this week -- Clobbered by Camembert. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these kind of covers because they seem so cozy. The town being described does NOT sound cozy though.

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cover...and the idea of living in a castle. I'd keep reading.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/06/first-chapter-first-paragraph-66-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not usually a big cozy mystery fan, but this one has me interested. The almost local setting helps, too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting teaser (even though mystery isn't my thing)! Here's my Teaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been in towns like that! LOL

    I love the sound of the blurb and the cover...definitely want to read more.

    Here's mine: “SHE CAN HIDE”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to read more. I occasionally read cozies and the upstate NY setting (where I just lived before moving last month to CA) tugged at me. Yep, driven through towns like that one, but the idea of a castle there, ha, fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote about this one on Saturday. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good! Been looking for a new cozy series to start. This would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a funny book and a terrific cozy. LOVE the setting already!
    My Teaser is from NOT THE MARRYING KIND.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute title. I'm a fan of mysteries even though my TT this week is from a comic novel.
    Swine Not? by Jimmy Buffett http://wp.me/pZnGI-8L

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love mysteries and thrillers, sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a chuckle so yeah, I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would definitely. I want to hear more about the house for starters and this is an author I've been wanting to try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The writing here seems a bit too cutesy for my taste:( hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would keep reading. This sounds like a good one (plus I love the cover). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really, really funny. I love the title too. Sounds like a really good cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not much of a cozy mystery reader but I hope you enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the writing style and the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.