Thursday, September 7, 2023

Review: Death by a Thousand Sips by Gretchen Rue

 




About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Crooked Lane

Release Date
September 5, 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Phoebe Winchester is back on the case in Raven Creek when a body is discovered at an estate sale in Gretchen Rue’s second book in the Witches’ Brew mystery series, perfect for fans of Laura Childs and Cleo Coyle.

Ever since she moved to Raven Creek, Washington, Phoebe Winchester knew she would have to grow accustomed to having a lot on her plate. She’s beginning to make the Victorian manor she inherited from her dear and adventurous Aunt Eudora feel more like home, successfully running the bookstore and tea shop, The Earl’s Study, and learning to harness her recently discovered magical powers. But when she discovers a dead body at an estate sale—even Phoebe wonders if this is simply too much.

Rumors of Phoebe’s involvement force her to take action; she needs to find the killer and clear her own name, once again. She enlists Rich Lofting, the handsome private detective and her childhood friend, in her investigation, all while she sorts out her unresolved feelings for him. Is there something more sinister lurking in the shadows of this small tight-knit town? And does Phoebe really want to find out?

With a dash of magic, a pinch of sleuthing skills, and a spoonful of friendly assistance, Phoebe needs to uncover the killer to keep Raven Creek safe once again. But if she doesn’t—will she find herself in even more hot water?


My Review


Phoebe Winchester is settling into her new life in Raven Creek, Washington.  She has taken over her late Aunt Eudora’s bookstore and tea shop, not to mention the Victorian manor she inherited as well.  Life is looking good until she attends an estate sale and finds a dead body.  The second dead body she has discovered since moving to Raven Creek a short time ago.

The police turn their investigation in Phoebe’s direction.  With the help of a handsome private investigator, Phoebe sets out to prove her innocence.  She’s surprised to discover how many people wanted to see the victim gone.

This is the second book in the series.  I think it could be read without reading the first book, but it’s so much better to read them in order.  This book gave us more of an insight into Phoebe’s character and gave the reader a chance to get to know her.  There’s a side romance story involved and has the potential to be really interesting.  Both characters have great chemistry together.

The plot has several red herrings.  I wasn’t at all sure who the culprit was until the end.  The author kept me guessing throughout the book.  

Another star of this series is Bob.  Phoebe’s chubby orange tabby cat she inherited from her aunt.  Bob likes to assist Phoebe in her snooping and he’s a very helpful partner.

This book has everything I enjoy in cozy mysteries - a mystery to keep you on your toes, good characters and, of course, an adorable kitty.  I’ll definitely be looking for the third book in the series.

For reading challenges:

Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2023
NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2023


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. The cover alone makes me want to read this before I even read the description. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to love about a tea shop, bookstore, and helpful cat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Bob might just be my favorite cat sidekick!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.