Friday, September 29, 2023

Review: Shocked by Champagne by Lucy Lakestone

 



About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Velvet Petal Press

Release Date
August 15, 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:


Fatally fizzy …

The holidays in Bohemia sparkle with fun under the palm trees, even if mixologist Pepper Revelle and her Bohemia Bartenders friends are working their glasses off. With all the cocktailians in town, the season promises to be festive—at least until a murky death in the swamp puts one of their friends under suspicion.

Rumor has it the victim was on the verge of a fantastic discovery, but Pepper and her would-be boyfriend Neil find nothing but questions surrounding it. What was she looking for among the alligators? And was it a motive for murder?

While Pepper and Neil search for answers and try to date among the disasters, Pepper’s dog Astra snubs distiller Mark’s impudent pup, and her ex Mr. Mixy gets into more trouble than he’s worth. When Pepper gets too close to the truth, will she be blasted like a cork from a bottle of bubbly?

SHOCKED BY CHAMPAGNE is the sixth book in the Bohemia Bartenders Mysteries, funny whodunits with a dash of romance set in a convivial collective of cocktail lovers, eccentrics and mixologists. These quasi-cozy culinary comedies contain a hint of heat, a splash of cursing and shots of laughter, served over hand-carved ice.

My Review

It’s the Christmas and New Year holiday season and the Bohemia Bartenders are busy with parties.  Mixologist Pepper Revelle is excited about the upcoming holiday season and her blossoming relationship with fellow mixologist Neil Rockaway.  When tragedy strikes, the holidays turn into a murder investigation.

One of Pepper’s friends is under suspicion, and she can’t let that happen.  Pepper and Neil team up with their friends to look for a killer.  Unfortunately, this puts their own lives in danger.

It’s always fun to make the trip to Bohemia in Florida.  Pepper knows how to make all of the Bartenders’ events exciting, perhaps a bit too exciting.  There's never a dull moment in Pepper's life.

Each character is crafted to perfection.  You either love or hate them or, in the case of Pepper’s ex Mr. Mixy, really find them annoying.  They are a quirky group to say the least.  For this reader, they feel like old friends and I’m always up for a visit with them.

The storyline is fast paced and kept me guessing to the end.  I thought I knew who did it, but I was wrong.  This is a cozy that mixes mystery, suspense, humor and even a little romance into one fun reading adventure.  

Although the mystery is contained in this book, there is a continuing thread that runs through each book.  So, it’s much more fun to begin this series with book #1 and get to know these offbeat characters.  I know I’ve come to love them.  It's the perfect book to read with a yummy cocktail.

Bring on book #7!

For reading challenges:

Craving for the Cozies Reading Challenge 2023


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from the author and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


3 comments:

  1. I can see bartenders doing very well at solving mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really fun and I like that the main character is a mixologist!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.