Thursday, August 1, 2024

Review: The X-Files Perihelion by Claudia Gray





About the Book


Genre
Paranormal, Science Fiction

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Hyperion Avenue

Release Date
July 30, 2024

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are still reeling from the death of their son William, but cautiously joyous about Scully’s unexpected pregnancy. Determined to raise this child together, Mulder and Scully struggle to find meaning away from the X-Files as they navigate the uncertain waters of their relationship. Then the FBI asks for their help tracking down two mysterious serial killers: one who seems to be able to control electricity, and another who disappears from the scene of the crime in what witnesses describe as a puff of smoke. It’s enough for the Bureau to re-open the X-Files—if Mulder and Scully are willing.

They reluctantly agree, cautious about what it might mean for them and their unborn child but determined to find justice for the killers’ victims. But their return to the X-Files sparks the interest of a shadowy cabal, the heirs to the now-dead Syndicate, and Mulder and Scully soon discover that their investigation is connected to a worldwide threat on an unprecedented scale . . . one with their own future at its heart.

My Review

Mulder and Scully are preparing for the birth of their child.  After the death of their son, they never thought they’d get another chance to be parents.  They are cautious and taking no chances.  They are closer than ever and will make this work.  Then, the FBI calls.  Once again, they need the help of Mulder and Scully.  They want to re-open the X-Files.

There are two serial killers under mysterious circumstances.  Mulder and Scully aren’t sure they want to be part of this especially with a baby on the way.  However, they agree to bring justice for the victims.  They are stunned to find this case is even bigger than they thought.

As a fan of the original X-Files TV series, I was happy to see this book.  It’s obvious the author knows these characters.  She wrote them keeping true to their original characters.  I could easily picture them in my mind saying these words.  

The story picks up where the TV series left off.  It’s been so long since I watched the show that I needed a refresher course, and the author provided the back story throughout the book.  I was easily reminded of past events.

I do believe X-Files fans will enjoy this the most, but paranormal and science fiction fans will like it too.  Still, I do believe it’s more for fans of the show.  It gives us a chance to see “what happened next”.   Kind of a love letter to the fans.

The ending was a powerful one and I can easily see this continuing on with a sequel.  There’s certainly enough material for one or maybe even more.  Once I finished the book, I didn’t want to let go of the characters.  I may need to make time for a re-watch of the TV series.  The author did well in continuing the X-Files franchise.  I know I’m ready for more.





For reading challenges:

Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2024
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2024 (DC)
NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2024


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

 

3 comments:

  1. My hubby will want to read this. e is a big fan of The X-Files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fun! I used to love the show and this would be a fun way to revisit it when I get a bit nostalgic. I didn't realize there were books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice when fans can see "what happened after."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.