Saturday, October 4, 2008

Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland




Genre: Paranormal

Former cop, Elizabeth Phoenix, lost everything that mattered to her – a great job, her partner and the man she loved. The reason for all her loss seems to stem from her psychic powers. She accepts a bartending job at the bar belonging to her partner’s widow, Megan. Megan has no ill feelings toward Elizabeth and counts her as a dear friend.

Elizabeth’s losses mount when she finds her foster mother, Ruthie, dead. Something attacks Elizabeth and she’s found unconscious next to the body. When she awakens, she learns the number one suspect in Ruthie’s murder is Elizabeth’s one true love, Jimmy Sanducci. To add to Elizabeth’s concerns, she learns the end of the world is near and she’s the only one that can save it.

Besides her psychic powers, Elizabeth begins to inherit supernatural powers from many different places. She goes through a brief training program with the sexy Sawyer to learn how to use these powers for the greater good.

The story leads to one huge battle as Elizabeth struggles to save, not only herself, but the world.

It’s been a long time since I read a paranormal and this was a good one. The story kept me hooked. It was a fast-paced story filled with demons, adventure, a touch of humor, and lots of sex. Parts of it were on the campy side, but it didn’t hamper my enjoyment of the book. My only problem was the two men in Elizabeth’s life – Jimmy and Sawyer. I didn’t find either one of them particularly lovable and both pretty much raped her in their own way. I couldn’t understand why she’d care about either one of them as the story moved along. That aside, I’m definitely interested in reading more of this series and will pick up book #2 when it’s released.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed this one--I hope I will too! I have read mixed reviews of it. Have you read her other books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't read any of her other books. I read mixed reviews, too. There were a couple of characters I wasn't thrilled with but not enough for me to dislike the book. Although, now I want to read something a bit lighter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review, I agree with you especially on the Jimmy/Sawyer part. I thought they were both jerks.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.