Thursday, May 13, 2010

Book through Thursday - Who Influences Your Reading?



If you'd like to join in on Booking Through Thursday, just click the button above.



This week's question...

Are your book choices influenced by friends and family? Do their recommendations carry weight for you? Or do you choose your books solely by what you want to read?

My answer...

It all depends on who the recommendation is from. If it's from someone who has the same reading tastes, then I'll go with the recommendation. I don't really have friends and family who like to read, so any book recommendations come from fellow bloggers and online reading groups I belong to.

There is a woman who runs a local used bookstore and she often gives me recommendations. I do listen to her since we have the same reading tastes and almost always agree on books.

I don't take reviews from magazines or places like Amazon seriously, though. The reviews have to be from someone I know for me to listen to them. Magazine and Amazon reviews I read just for the synopsis of the book to decide if I'll like it.

Since I've joined the blogging world, the best reviews and recommendations come from fellow bloggers, though.

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

12 comments:

  1. I agree that blogs are great places to get book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. For me it depends on the person and what they read. If their reading preferences are anything like mine - then yes definitely their opinion carries weight. If I know their style is different then mine - then no way Jose. ;) I take it with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogs are a great way to get book recommendations. I rely far more heavily on the internet for book recommendations than on family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I have gotten some great recommendations about books right here in the blog world.
    Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read many book that I would have known about without blogger recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recommendations are everywhere! I do find a lot of books on blogs, as well as in the NY Times Book Review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definitely depends on the person. Most of my recommendations come from other bloggers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you. I get most of my recommendations for what to read from all of you (my fellow bloggers). I've had the opportunity to read some wonderful books that I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise because of book blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that book blogger opinions matter...they usually are more exacting in why they liked/didn't like a book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your LOL cat. :-) I feel the same as you about Amazon reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you, Yvonne. Here is my answer for this weeks answer:

    http://elisha-mythoughts.blogspot.com/2010/05/booking-through-thursday-513.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cant tell you how many books have been added to my TBR List because of you great bloggers. And that's the God honest truth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.