Thursday, November 10, 2011

Booking Through Thursday - EReaders



If you'd like to join in on Booking Through Thursday, just click the button above.



This week's question...

E-readers like the Kindle and iPad are sweeping the nation … do you have one? Do you like it? Do you find it changes your reading/buying habits? If you don’t have one, do you plan to?

(And yes, e-readers and e-books do come up periodically, and yes, we’ve had similar questions in the past, but things change so quickly … it’s worth revisiting.)

My answer...

I actually have three e-readers now...this coming from someone who swore she'd never ever even get one. LOL As regular readers of my blog know, my TBR is humongous. It takes up my entire guest room (I've been slowly trying to clear out my books since I got my first ereader to get my guest room back.) When I saw how much physical space these books were taking, I started to consider an ereader. I bought the original Nook when it was at its highest price (who knew prices would come down so much within months, but that frequently happens with all technology). I've never looked back.

I debated between the Nook and Kindle, but chose the Nook because - at that time - it was the ereader that was able to borrow books from the library and Kindle couldn't. That's changed now, of course, but still I love my Nook and I love Barnes & Noble. I often spend my lunch time at the store reading my Nook because they allow you one hour a day to read any book of your choice for free.

Then, I bought a Kobo when Borders was having their "Going out of Business" sale. It was only $40. How could I pass that up?

Then, just a month ago, I bought a refurbished Nook Color for a great price (another item I thought I would never need or want) and I love it.

It's always good to have a spare ereader in case the one I'm reading isn't charged up enough :) I must always be prepared :) Of course I still have an occasional physical book to read (mainly for reviews), but primarily I use my ereaders and love them.

Have my reading habits changed? Not really. Have my buying habits changed? Definitely. I don't buy physical books anymore. Before I was spending anywhere from $5 to $15 for a book. Now, when I purchase e-books they are in the less than $5 range - usually 99 cents or $2 at the most. Sometimes I'll get a book that's regular paperback price, but rarely. Also, I get a ton of freebies. I thought the freebies would never be anything I would want to read, but I was so wrong about that. Some are from best selling authors and some were on my wishlist anyway. Others, were in the genre I like and it was a chance for me to get to know new-to-me authors.

All in all, I'm very happy with my ereaders and never leave home without it :)

funny pictures - long story short  your out of toilet paper
see more Lolcats and funny pictures, and check out our Socially Awkward Penguin lolz!

8 comments:

  1. I love that there are so many free e-books out there...

    Here’s my Booking Through Thursday post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up with a Kindle and love it. I spend more money on books than I did before though, it's so easy to buy them. Bet Amazon loves me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have an e-reader, but can see how great they would be if you are a traveler, or just to take on a vacation. I guess you could say, I'm still a page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably still be on the fence about this issue if not for last Christmas...Sparky, my Kindle, was a gift.

    I like how easy it is to download books, and that you can carry a "library" with you.

    But I still buy physical books, too, and accept them as review copies.

    Here's MY BTT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Nook (and B&N gives away a LOT of free books!) Here's my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still prefer the actual book.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/booking-through-thursday_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Kindle that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I learned something new: I didn't know you could read on the Nook at B&N. How cool is that!?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.