Saturday, December 16, 2017

Review: Murder at Stake by Constance Barker (Old School Diner Mystery Series, #1)


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Release Date:
August 27, 2017









Synopsis from Goodreads:


A Stake Through the Heart

When a tornado hits the town of Paint Creek, more than rubble is discovered. One of the regulars at the Old School Diner is found with a stake to the heart. Is the stake from his collapsed barn, or as a couple of conspiracy theorists from the diner speculate...that the dear departed was indeed a vampire and there is a vampire hunter among them. Find out what happens in this new hilarious mystery series where the owner, Mercy, has her hands full with a colorful cast of characters.

My Review

After leaving a very stressful life and career as an emergency room nurse in Louisville, Mercy Howard heads back to her hometown of Paint Creek, Kentucky. She buys the Old School Diner, which had originally been founded by her grandfather. Now she owns it and plans to make a life for herself.

Paint Creek may be a small town, but there’s quite a bit of craziness going on there. A tornado strikes the small town leaving one of their own dead. It’s not long before it’s discovered that the tornado didn’t kill the man. Everyone is thinking murder, while some wacky townspeople think it could be vampires.

Mercy assists the handsome new Sheriff Brody Hayes in the investigation. It’s difficult for Mercy when the investigation leads her in the direction of people she has known most of her life. At the same time, the sparks fly between Mercy and Brody.

The cast of characters is a wide variety of personalities. Crazy, sweet, funny, romantic and even a couple of bad guys thrown in to add to the excitement. Mercy is a wonderful character who would make a wonderful friend.  She's strong, likeable and very smart.  She doesn't back down.

For a few hours, I was transported to Kentucky and trying to figure out who killed the poor guy. The book had an old fashioned, quaint feel to it.  It’s the first book I’ve read by this author and it won’t be my last.  I want to give her other series a try too.  I enjoyed her writing style.  She keeps you guessing. This cozy mystery is fun and left me smiling after I swiped the last page. I can't say enough good things about it.






Disclosure: I borrowed this through Kindle Unlimited. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.