Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Guy Not Taken: Stories by Jennifer Weiner


Genre: Fiction

After reading “Good in Bed” and “Certain Girls”, I’ve become a fan of Jennifer Weiner’s work. This particular book isn’t the same as the previous books I read. This one is a collection of short stories but with the same theme of what is happening in women’s lives today – from family issues to marital issues to childrearing issues to career issues. There is one story that is told from the man’s point of view, which I found interesting. That particular story also featured a cameo appearance from Cannie, the main character from “Good in Bed”.

As in the previous Weiner books I listened to, her characters are all realistic and facing realistic problems and challenges that everyday people face. Her characters are easy to identify with and appreciate. My favorite was the last story “The Mother’s Hour”. A woman who desperately wanted a child finally has one and she’s more than the woman can handle. She joins a playgroup called “The Mother’s Hour” and forms a friendship with a much younger mother. Very interesting story.

I listened to the audio version of this book and it was a nice diversion from sitting in traffic on the way to and from work. I prefer full length novels, as short stories always leave me wanting more. However, maybe that’s a good thing. I intend to eventually make my way through off Weiner’s books as I think she’s an excellent author.


For reading challenges: Audio Books Reading Challenge

3 comments:

  1. I love a good audio book. I have read Weiner before, but never listened. Thanks for the review. :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really must give Weiner a go, I have been meaning to but never had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good collection of stories, Yvonne. Someday I will get around to reading one of the Jennifer Weiner books I have sitting on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.