Saturday, October 29, 2016

Review: Killer Caramel Cookies by Patti Benning



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Summer Prescott Books

Release Date:
October 3, 2016







Synopsis from Goodreads:

Lilah Fallon has been bouncing from job to job ever since she left a cushy position at her father’s company. Recently fired from a voice-over job, she’s still on the hunt for a perfect career, where she can use her talents and abilities and still have room to live and breathe. When she sees an ad in the paper about an opening at the local salon, she jumps on it, certain that she has found her path, but what seems at first like a dream job, soon turns into a nightmare, and things go from bad to worse when a client is found dead. There are several potential murder suspects in the small town of Vista, Alabama, and unfortunately Lilah finds herself included in that group. Eager to prove her innocence, she enlists the help of friends to try to find the killer before it’s too late.

My Review

Lilah Fallon is a realistic character – a woman who lost her job and is now trying to make ends meet by getting any job she can. After losing a good job doing voice-overs, she goes back to her waitress job. Then, she sees an opening at a hair salon. Even though she has no experience, she applies and gets the job. Unfortunately, she makes a huge mistake on her first day leaving a client very angry. Naturally she is immediately fired, but things don’t end there. The client threatens to sue and is found murdered. The number one suspect is Lilah, of course.

Trying to defend herself, Lilah investigates the murder on her own. As she tries to find the real killer, she can’t help wondering if her real job calling isn’t as a private investigator. If she doesn’t spend the rest of her life in jail and solves this crime, she just might go for it as her new career.

This is a cozy mystery that can be read in just a few short hours. It moves along at a fast pace. Even though it’s a novella, it’s still complex enough to keep me guessing as to whodunit. I was completely off base and that’s a good thing. I never read this author before, but I’ll be checking her backlist. I enjoyed this one and will definitely be reading the next one.




I got this book as a freebie for my Kindle. All opinions expressed are my own.



3 comments:

  1. I like it when I'm so wrong about the answer. LOL This looks and sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting and I love that Lilah is a realistic character. The mystery sounds like a good one and I like that the mystery feels complete and complex even though it's a novella. I'll definitely add this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.