Thursday, June 1, 2017

Review: Lemon Chiffon Murder by Susan Gillard



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Guardian Publishing Group

Release Date:
June 7, 2016






Synopsis from Goodreads:

When Heather Janke hosts her engagement party in Paris, France, the last thing she expects to find out is that one of her guests has been poisoned by one of her donuts.

She’s overwhelmed with grief, particularly when she finds out that the suspect is Angelica, her faithful assistant and friend, who flew all the way out to France to help her with her wedding. With the wedding only days away, and no help from the French police, Heather sets out to clear Angelica’s name and save her from imprisonments. But Heather has to contend with the press, a particularly nosy – and cheesy – maître d’hôtel, and the constant battle to stay on top of affairs while her wedding date draws closer and closer.

Heather must figure out who poisoned her beloved lemon chiffon icing, but the zest might be too sour for her to handle this time around.

My Review

Heather Janke is finally going to get everything she wants. She’s about to marry Detective Ryan Shepherd and she is a very successful business owner. Her donut shop in Texas is a huge success. Now, she’s hosting her own engagement party in romantic Paris, France. Life is good for Heather.

Then, tragedy strikes. One of the guests is poisoned by one of Heather’s donuts. The first and only person arrested for the crime is Heather’s assistant Angelica. Heather knows she is innocent and intends to prove it. She’s especially determined when the French police seem to want to take the easy way out and settle for Angelica without looking any further for the killer.

This is the 8th book in the series. I’m really enjoying these books. Currently there are 45 books in the series. The good thing is they are relatively short at approximately 200 pages. I’ve been able to read them in an afternoon. For me, they make a nice filler between longer books.

The mysteries aren’t terribly complicated, but they are interesting to follow. Susan Gillard gives readers a nice blend of mystery with romance. The characters are likeable and the setting fits perfect for the cozy mystery genre.

I’m looking forward to continuing with this series, even though each book always leaves me craving for donuts.



For reading challenges:
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2017
Foodies Read Reading Challenge 2017

Disclosure: I got this one as a freebie from Amazon. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


6 comments:

  1. This is a series I've been wanting to read and I've really enjoyed your reviews of them (though they always make want donuts!). I love the setting of this one and the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cozies are bad for me, it makes me want donuts, or pie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! shades of Agatha Christie here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for hosting Susan Gillard and her book, Lemon Chiffon Murder. I am not familiar with this series but would love to win so I can try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just an FYI - This is only a review, it is not a giveaway.

      Delete
  5. Wow, 45 books is the series is a lot. Good thing they are short or you would never be able to get to them all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.