Thursday, July 1, 2010

Book through Thursday - Disappointment



If you'd like to join in on Booking Through Thursday, just click the button above.



This week's question...

Name a book or author that you truly wanted to love but left you disappointed. (And, of course, explain why.)

My Answer...

I had to give this some thought. The first books to come to my mind are Twilight and Outlander. I have heard such wonderful things about both books, but I wasn't in love with either book. However, I didn't dislike them and I'm still going to try the rest of the Twilight series and I haven't even finished Outlander yet. The reason I haven't finished is more because of the size and review books that I need to complete. So, it's not totally the book's fault.

Then, I remember two other books that I read, heard excellent things about and then both books just left me cold. I couldn't even describe them to you, if I tried. As soon as I read them, the stories went completely out of my head so they weren't memorable to me, which is never a good thing. They would be The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. They were okay, but nothing I would rush out and read if I hadn't heard so many good things about them.

I can't even put my finger on the reason, neither novel gripped me. Neither novel left me wanting more. I didn't hate them, I just didn't think they were as good as everything I heard about them. Maybe that's what happens when a book is so built up...the anticipation is greater than the actual experience of reading it.

8 comments:

  1. Agree with you on Twilight, I heard it was the best book ever, and then, that language, noooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Twilight, nor do I have any desire to. I did read The DaVinci Code and didn't think it was all that.

    Here's my BBT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never read any of the Twilight books, and I passed on the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, as well. They don't even appeal to me, even with all the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't read Twilight but agree on Dan Brown, I didn't take the Da Vinci Code in my answer but I could have. I found it predictable and not really worthy of all the praise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only considered Twilight and Dan Brown because of the hype but that is far as it got.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Decided to do my BTT, here it is.

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/07/btt-disappointment-in-book-or-author.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness I am thinking I am the only person that has not read Twilight?, but then I am looking at some of the responses and see I am not the only one but beginning to think I shall not. De I have not read Outlander yet but liked the Lost Symbol and the Da Vinci code a lot so Outlander by Diana Gabaldon yes? She writes similar to Dan Brown I believe so I would most likely enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that cat made me lol!

    This is an interesting question. Youre not the first blogger I see that has mentioned Twilight.
    I have Outlander in my TBR. I wonder if I'll like it.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.