Friday, July 4, 2014

Review: Confession Is Murder by Peg Cochran (#1, A Lucille Mystery)



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Beyond the Page Publishing

Release Date:
October 2013




Lucille Mazzarella is a middle-aged housewife living in New Jersey. The most important things in her life are her husband, daughter and her extended family and friends. Things go crazy for Lucille when she throws her husband out of the house, her daughter has boyfriend problems, her mother buys non-stop from QVC and most of all…she stumbles upon her brother-in-law who falls out of a church confessional, very much dead!

Lucille’s husband, Frankie, and her brother-in-law, Joseph, are partners in a pest control business. The primary suspect in Joseph’s murder is Frankie. Lucille is not about to let her estranged husband go down for a murder she knows he didn’t commit, so she begins her own investigation. Along the way she runs into one of her old flames, Richie Sambuco and he still makes her heart flutter.

Much to Lucille’s surprise, she learns that there were a couple of people who wanted Joseph dead. The story takes a few twists and turns and leads Lucille to many of her family and friend’s darkest secrets.

Lucille is a fun character. She’s from a large Italian family. Their weekly family dinners are at her house. She faces realistic problems such as hot flashes, weight gain, and a husband she loves, but is not sure she can keep the marriage going. Lucille is a character that readers can fall in love with and care about. Her best friend Flo is another one of those characters readers will love. The entire cast of characters are fun, quirky and realistic.

The story moved along at a nice, fast pace. There’s both humor and mystery throughout the story. What I thought was great was that there was a reason she was sticking her nose in the investigation – to save her estranged husband. Sometimes the amateur sleuths have you scratching your heads, wondering why they are butting into things. Not this time.

I already have the second book in this series on my e-reader and it looks good too.




For reading challenges:
2014 My Kind of Mystery Reading Challenge
2014 NetGalley Reading Challenge

FTC Disclosure: NetGalley provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.





4 comments:

  1. This one sounds like something for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This author sounds really familiar but I can't think of any book of hers that I've actually read. This one sounds entertaining with some great characters so I'll definitely have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! Falling out of a church confessional dead? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What I thought was great was that there was a reason she was sticking her nose in the investigation – to save her estranged husband. Sometimes the amateur sleuths have you scratching your heads, wondering why they are butting into things. Not this time." - That is a definite flaw of cozies. I need to give this a try,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.