Saturday, July 26, 2014

Review: Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman


Genre:
Non-Fiction, Memoir

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Tantor Audio

Release Date:
June 2012






Piper Kerman had it all – a career, boyfriend, friends, and family. She also had her freedom until one mistake from ten years ago takes it all away. Ten years ago Piper delivered drug money at the request of a friend. Now, she is being convicted and sentenced to one year at a federal prison. It only took one bad decision to turn her life upside down.

The author describes everything that happened to her in great detail. Readers will understand what goes on in a federal prison and what women experience. It deals with the indignities of prison life, the lack of privacy, behavior rules, and a complete lack of freedom. She introduces us to the many different types of people she meets in prison – from the good to the bad. We even learn how she befriends them. Piper holds nothing back and makes no excuses. This is her story.

I took this audio out from the library after I started to watch the Netflix TV show based on the book. The show grabbed me right away. I figured the book would, too, and I wasn’t wrong. This is an engrossing book. Hearing it on audio is like listening to a story in someone’s living room. I wanted it to keep going. The good thing about the TV show is that it will keep going and season 3 will be here before we know it.

I never expected to like either the book or the TV show but there’s something about it that just keeps me hooked.



For reading challenges:
2014 I Love Library Books Reading Challenge

FTC Disclosure: I took this audio book out from the library. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.



6 comments:

  1. Yvonne, I'm glad the book kept your attention. I've been watching the Netflix series this summer. It's certainly engaging, but also extremely explicit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book isn't quite as explicit as the TV show. They dramatize a lot of things.

      Delete
  2. I am watching season 2 at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds good. I'm in the middle of season 2 right now myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon the show on Netflix, and then got the book and read it.

    I was going to savor Season II, but I binged...and now I am desperate for Season III.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.