Saturday, December 6, 2014

Review: The Good Girl by Mary Kubica


Genre:
Mystery

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Blackstone Audio, Inc.

Release Date:
July 2014



After being stood up by her boyfriend, Mia Dennett, meets an attractive man in a bar. She decides to leave with him, but Colin Thatcher turns out to be one of the biggest mistakes of her life.

Colin is not just any guy, but he had been specifically hired to kidnap Mia and hold her for ransom. However, Colin changes the plans in an attempt to protect Mia. He takes her to a secluded cabin in Minnesota and does his best to make sure Mia is safe.

Meanwhile, Mia’s parents – a prominent Chicago judge and his socialite wife – are doing everything to find their daughter. Mia’s mother, Eve, and detective Gabe Hoffman race around the clock desperately searching for her. Eve fears for her daughter’s life and will stop at nothing to get her back.

The book is told from four different point of views – Mia’s, Colin’s, Gabe’s and Eve’s. Listening to the audio was interesting as there were four different people reading each character. Often on audios, there is only one narrator reading many different parts. At least that’s what I’ve found more often than not. Hearing the four different voices made it more compelling. I, also, thought four different point of views gave the reader a chance to hear each character’s perspective of the situation. I found this to be very telling and wonderful technique.

This is one of those books you don’t want to put down or, in my case, not turn off the CD player. I just wanted to keep listening. I was fascinated by this story. To make it even better was that I didn’t see the ending coming at all. It really took me by surprise, but I won’t say anymore. A really good mystery and I’ll definitely be looking for more books by this author in the future.




Disclosure: I took the audio out from the library for my own reading enjoyment. All opinions expressed are my own.


6 comments:

  1. I've wondered about this one so am pleased to hear you enjoyed it. I like they use different voices for the audio narration. That definitely makes it more appealing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, Yvonne. I like that Colin becomes protective of Mia. This sounds like it makes a good audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked this one, so did we! Here's a link to our review if interested: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2014/08/we-both-liked-good-girl-by-mary-kubica.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got this one in print and am looking forward to reading it soon. It may be my first book in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it...I read, rather than listen, so I'm curious what that experience was like. Sounds as though it worked for you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review, and thanks for writing about your experience listening to it as well as reviewing the book itself. I always appreciate when reviewers give a hint of what the audio is like. I often prefer to read because it's faster, but I also enjoy audiobooks, so I'd rather stick to ones that are particularly well-suited to audio. It sounds as though this is one, given that it uses four different readers for the four POV narratives. It also sounds less creepy than I thought it was, which might lead me to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.