Friday, December 19, 2014

Review: Mistletoe in Manhattan: A Christmas Story by Talli Roland



Genre:
Romance, Chick Lit

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Notting Hill Press

Release Date:
November 2012





Working for her parent’s ‘Christmas When You Like It’ party-planning company, Holly West wants more for herself. She wants to be a successful party-planner with only the most wealthiest and famous as her clients. However, life in Little Missington in the UK is not going to get her there.

She is more than thrilled when she is offered the chance of a lifetime – a British celebrity, Dean Layton, in New York wants to hire her to plan a British-themed Christmas party. She’s sure this will be the start of something big. Promising to return to the UK to spend Christmas with her parents, Holly jumps on the first plane to the US.

Things aren’t as easy as she’d hoped. Dean’s assistant obviously doesn’t want Holly to succeed and is constantly throwing obstacles in her way. To make things even more difficult, Holly has no connections in New York and has no idea where to turn for help. Fortunately, the hotel’s sexy bartender, Alex, is willing to give Holly all the help she needs.

When Dean suddenly demands that Holly plan an “after Christmas” party, too, Holly fears that she won’t make it home in time for her own Christmas celebration.

This is a novella for the holidays. It’s cute, but I think this could have worked better as a full length book. There was no time to explore any real romance for Holly. There were hints, but not much more than that. I even hesitate to call this a romance. I guess I just wanted more in the story, but that’s what happens with novellas, there just isn’t more.

I would read another book by this author as I think she’s good at writing chick lit and her book reminds me of the “Shopaholic” series by Sophie Kinsella. I checked out Talli Roland’s backlist and she has some full length books too. I’ll give them a try.



For reading challenges:
2014 Just for Fun Reading Challenge

Disclosure: I got this as a freebie from Amazon for my own enjoyment. All opinions expressed are my own.


5 comments:

  1. I love the cover, and the story does sound good.

    I have a few cozies that are as short or shorter than this and was wondering if there is a page minimum for Cruisin’ Thru The Coziess or if it would be ok to read them for the challenge. Or...should I just stick with the longer ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked Mistletoe in Manhattan out on Amazon and it's only 99 cents! I should have enough time to read it before Christmas (after I finish my current read) so I bought it Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

      Delete
  2. I like the story and the idea of a British themed Christmas party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne, this sounds like a fun book! Holly is the perfect name for the protagonist, of course. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.